Sunday, September 24, 2017

Bonchon, OIA Area

I tried this new (6 weeks) Korean chain on 436 near the airport last night. I might have given it a lukewarm review if it weren't for four trips to the toilet today. I had a wing combo (four wings are replaced by three drumettes for a total of nine pieces) for $13. That is over $1 a wing and not worth it even if they weren't a health hazard. The wings were very dry, so, I assume they were old and possibly fried multiple times. They were also tiny. Maybe from multiple oil baths? The drumettes were a tad plumper and less jerkified. And I don't mind an overcooked wing as long as the skin is crisp as a chip. The sauce was also a tad too hot. George likes his kung pao spicy, but. most people would be put off. It totally precluded any enjoyment (or experience) of the flavor. It came with a side of pickled radish that was too sweet. The starters (8) are pan-Asian. Leaning to Japanese. IF the salmon avocado ball could be prepared properly (and I have my doubts), It could have been an interesting alternative. It was $11. $7 is the floor. $10 on Mains. And that is for  a wrap. Bulgogi is $17. There are 7 other options. Mostly Korean. Buns and tacos are $11. And that (in addition to spoiled food) is the problem. They are a soul-less chain. A knock off. And they charge more than an authentic Korean restaurant. It's untoward. The room is one, high ceiling-ed square. It seats around sixty. It tries to be Asian modern. The bathroom was dirty. I just came back from Edmonton and I ate at place called Seoul Fried Chicken (SFC) and they gave me five pieces of fried chicken, a side (I chose and interesting sweet potato cole slaw), fries and a soda for $10. And the place was cuter and a award winner and a locals favorite. The chicken was far superior and the portion was bigger. I'm not totally writing this place off, but, I will be reticent to try them again. I would also like them to reduce their prices by at least 20 percent. It's also funny that they sell next to no "bonchon" (ie tiny bites). They threatened (informed me) that we are going to get two or three more locations in Orlando. You all have been warned. I mean informed. They do lunch.

No comments: