Thursday, November 1, 2018

Geni's Philly Steaks, Longwood - Closed *MI/OH Travel Notes

I grabbed a cheese steak to go at this deli next to Lyman High School yesterday. I even forced it to sit until dinner and it was still very good after a good nuke. The meat was cut paper thin. No fat or gristle. Grilled. The cheese oozed into it. Diced white onion. Ok roll. Surprising. It cost $7. They also serve wraps, sandwiches, breakfasts, quesadillas, burgers, salads, gyro sand subs. I would not have had faith in their ability to deliver on those, but, now I have reason to believe. The place is a little dingy and short on decor. Not a destination, but, maybe a fail safe if you are in that part of town. Perhaps at Hourglass Brewery or something. It has been open for two years. I think they said they replaces something called Jelly Belly's. Question - is Geni multiple Genos?

*A few recipe ideas I came across while in Ohio and Michigan. Black bean and plantain soup with monk fish. Cream of potato soup with sea bass. A riff on chowder.

*Travel Notes - Michigan and Ohio: Here a few places to try if you go. North Market in Columbus OH (Hot Chicken Takeover and The Fish Guys. I also tried a place called Dirty Franks. Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger and Maize and Blue Deli in Ann Arbor. Supino Pizzeria near Eastern Market in Detroit. Golden Fleece in Greektown had a voluminous gyro. I also went to a bbq chain (they say it's in Florida) called Mission BBQ. It was surprisingly good.

No comments: