Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Lai-Lai Chinese Cuisine, Orlando

I was looking for a place called The Noble Smokesman in the area last Wednesday afternoon. When I finally found it, it had a note on the door that said they were relocating. Too bad the reviewer at the Orlando Weekly wasn't apprised of this fact before (or after) he wrote about it. At least it wasn't conveyed to me in subsequent issues. Therefore, I was forced to audible. I had nothing concrete on my list, so, I decided to finally try this Asian spot on OBT in between Sand Lake and Oak Ridge (Southland Blvd). I've passed by it for years. They said they have been there for 33 years. It's nothing special. But not value less. I had the buffet because they pushed it and I wasn't planning on Asian food and it only cost $6. Plus it looked alright. It was. I tried the egg rolls, spring rolls, chicken with broccoli, fried pork, honey garlic chicken, kung pao chicken, pepper steak, pork lo mein, fried rice, white rice and the fried chicken. The fried chicken was the best. So fried. Sometimes you get that because it's the second or third time out and they refry it every day. The chicken wasn't dry enough for that. I think they just know how to do it. Thighs and drums. I had eight pieces. Take that KFC or Popeye's. Already saving money by eating here instead of there. The second best thing was the chicken and broccoli. Kind of like Moo Goo Gai Pan. I think the Moo or the Goo means mushrooms. Gai is chicken. So, this was that with broccoli instead. The rolls were what you'd expect. The pepper steak (just had one piece) was very tender. The fried rice was bland. The white rice was properly cooked. The lo mein wasn't too greasy. The other dishes were on par or better than most take out plus Chinese places. I just had a taste, so, it's not worth analyzing. There were three soups, a full dessert section and other dishes in the buffet. They have the full Chinese menu and a full sushi menu. The place isn't new or fancy. Basic wood tables, etc. It is clean. The two ladies working there were very nice. It is a great value. I'm not sure if it should be on your culinary to do list, but, it is a real value for those in the area. Maybe an option if you are going to the mall (or strip club I guess). If I lived near there I would go once a week. Seven times if I was bulimic.

*I stopped by a new French place (La Boucherie) on Turkey Lake Rd to see if it had opened. They said they opened on December 6th. I think the spot was a Graffiti Junction. It still look like it might be closed. I found the pricing a bit steep. I will be in to see if it is worth it sooner rather than later. They renamed the PGA golf place across the street something Greek.

No comments: