Saturday, February 8, 2020

Grub Crawl - College Park: El Vic's Kitchen (Closed) and Bagel Bruno

I'm going to go out of order for the first time because I feel I need to contribute a public service asap and give a gut check to an establishment that is in a death throe. I will tell you about my Friday night when I get back. I went to these places today at lunch time.

El Vic's Kitchen - They replaced a nice French place (Tartine) on Edgewater (where Tin & Taco is) around two months ago. That is more than enough time to work out the kinks and less than enough time to be showing such weariness. They have already abandoned the breakfast menu. However, they haven't even changed the hours on their window. Anal is not something I would ascribe to management. They did next to nothing with the interior. They took down a poster of France and put up some lettering that calls out the name. My table cloth and seat had crumbs on it. No table setting. When the only other people (2) got up to leave, they didn't replace the table cloth or even "snap" it out or brush it down. I doubt they have EVER been changed (or laundered). The floors were equally dirty. And the counter top. I'd hate to do a finger test. They had only one well meaning, but, mostly clueless tween waitress. I'd wager she was a relative. I ordered a Golden Cubano because it seemed like the simplest and cheapest way out of this apparent nightmare. They didn't even press it. It was to come with cheddar cheese. The "golden' part. It was a shredded cheese blend from the supermarket. As was the "baguette". Straight up Publix bread complete with the machine "braille' marks underneath. It was also stale. 3/4 of the sandwich was bread. The one piece of ham was probably from Publix too. The veg were of poor quality, flavorless and wilting. The Swiss cheese was not melty. It came with fries. 3/4 were undercooked. Plus, in a bit of Indian thrift, they put a crumpled piece of paper in the container to limit the fry out take. The best part of the dish for the garlic spread. It cost $11. The plating was cute. On a slice of tree trunk plate with a basket for the fries. $3 mini glass of soda with ice. It took too long to come out. They seemed to be more focused on their buffet (which should have already been finished by 12:30 for a place that opens at 11). Plus, I doubt any more people were coming for the buffet than were coming to Eleanor Rigby's wedding. The menu is a weird collection of "world cuisine". Mostly Indian though. They had some things that seemed interesting (mushroom cappuccino soup) and some that did not (Shepard's Pie quesadilla). But, I think the soup was just a play on names. The only thing they described in the description line was that it came with truffle oil. What makes it cappuccino? Probably just the color. I saw three of the kitchen staff.. They looked like a work release. I could continue to list the failings of this endeavor, but, I doubt they would benefit from any of it. They need someone with management experience. It seems to be a cook run business. A cook that doesn't have front of the house or back office experience. I expect you will be reading their obituary any week now and I'll have to haul my ass back here to chronicle the next disaster.

Bagel Bruno - They took over Hubbly Bubbly near Edgewater High and Ollie's  in November. They sell bagels with schmears and as sandwiches. Around 5 breakfast types. Nothing out of the ordinary. And 5 sandwich like bagels. Same. I grabbed a $4 sesame with cream cheese. It is a properly made (puffy), good looking bagel with proper cream cheese. Full sesame seed coverage. The bagel is $2 and the schmear is $2. They partner with Foxtail Coffee. The place is modern and cute. Bagels are displayed on a glass wall (hanging on glass poles). They have a little patio. Parking is sufficient

No comments: