Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Mai Thai, Downtown *NV/AZ/NM Travel Notes

I tried this Thai (though not all dishes are Thai) spot (in the old Artisan's Table location) on Pine yesterday at lunch. I think I recently remarked on it as Muy Thai. That would have been more clever. I'm not sure why my synapses misfired when I plugged this into my brain. It has a mostly ordinary selection of Thai dishes. The outliers include grouper, short ribs and a rib eye in the Specialty section. Other than that, it is 4 noodle dishes, 7 stir fry dishes, 3 fried dishes, 2 duck, curry rice dishes, 11 apps, 5 soups and 5 salads. I chose the red curry with chicken because I hadn't had that in while. It comes with bell pepper, carrots, bamboo, snow peas, zucchini and basil. I avoided the peppers. It cost $10 (at lunch - $13 at dinner). It was fine. The chicken was a little plastic-y. A fair volume. The rice was over cooked. The veg were cut into little shapes. Served on a white plate (rice) and a trapezoidal white bowl. The meal began with a comp Thai spring roll and a iceberg lettuce and carrot salad with an orange zest dressing. The décor is similarly ho hum to the menu. A huge, open plan, high ceilinged box that seats over 100 in 25 tables of 4. A bar area is up front. The colors are white, black and some shade of pastel that I believe was in the red spectrum. Maybe it was green. More synapse degradation. The front side is all glass window. I don't think they did that much to the old space. The tables were a bit worn. Service was fine. Parking is obviously an issue. There were around sixteen people eating there at 1pm. They aren't open on Sunday. It's fine, but not worth a trip. I think they said they have been open for six months.

*Travel Notes- Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico: Here are some Thai dishes I had last week in Las Vegas: Tom Kha (coconut milk + soup), Kana Moo Grob (fried pork belly and broccoli stems in an oyster sauce), Khao Man Som Tam (coconut rice topped with sweet pork), Green Papaya Salad, Ju Pa Bao (a Macanese style bao of pork cutlet with the bone in). The first two were from Krung Siam on Spring Mountain Blvd. The second two were from Pok Pok in the Cosmopolitan. It is run by some famous chef from Portland.

**The other interesting items from the trip were: Blueberry Milkshake from Mr D'z Route 66 Diner in Kingman AZ, Lobster Taquitos and French Fries smothered in NE Clam Chowder from Slapfish in Glendale AZ, Green Chili Burrito from Taylor Freeze in Pima AZ and Itsa Burger from Blake's Lotaburger in Truth or Consequences NM.

***DT News: Cucina is still not open. Graffiti Junction closed. Elize replaced Rusty Spoon. Artisan's Table is across from it. CFS coffee shop is open on the side of Cucina. Orange County Brewing is being replace by Motorworks Brewing. I think they spell it "werks". The market near Morgan and Morgan is not open yet. The "depot" building seems to be some of kind of crafts store. I keep meaning to see if El Buda is still open. I think it closed down a while ago. Speaking of which. Does Hamburger Mary's have a Booty Burger? I was thinking it would be a natural. I don't think it would be that offensive. And it rolls off the tongue.

No comments: