Friday, November 6, 2020

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Peanut's, New Smyrna Dessert Company and Baci *FL/GA/SC/NC/VA/MD/WV Travel Notes

The first two are across the intercoastal on Flagler. The last is on US1 (Dixie) a bit north on the left (where all the others have been). They are opening up another spot (beer themed I think) next door. That spot looks like a gas station. I tried these at lunch last Thursday. I found two newcomers (on Flagler) in one of those alley coves - Mimi's and a Cuban place. I still have two to do near the ocean and I have tried Treat on the Beach (snack bar) before the blog. Plus Atlantic something and another one in another alley cove.

Peanuts Sport Pub & Grub - The definition of a dive bar. Open for 40 years. Looks it. Even has a beer can wall. I grabbed a hot dog with chips for $5 after they were out of BLT's. It was a hot dog. Actually not terrible. They have a thin menu. There was one semi-interesting thing on the menu. Something like a taco in a bag of Doritos. It is near the ocean. Next to that scruffy motel.

New Smyrna Dessert Company - Something about this place seemed familiar. It turns out they (Mango Tango) moved and rebranded. Now it is in the center of the street. Some froyo. I grabbed a bit of it. May even have been mango come to think of it.

Baci Pizzeria Ristorante - I grabbed a 16" for $15. When they rolled it out, they added too much flour to the dough. Dry. Dusty. One side had bad cheese coverage. Bubbles. Didn't pound out the air before rolling. Otherwise, pretty good. Thin. Nice natural sauce. Wood burning brick oven. They have been open for six years. Very good wine list (had Barolo's and Chateau Montelena for example). Beer. Apps, salads, ciabattas, heroes, pasta and many pizzas. Fair pricing. Lots of things just over $10. Most expensive dish is Veal parm or Lobster ravioli at $24. Nice patio. Sit down bar on the right afront the pizza oven and prep area. A few tables on the left. Exposed wine cabinet on left wall. 

*I popped into Henry's Depot in Sanford last Friday. Things had changed. The place I reviewed (Mex) and the Poke place were gone. Replaced by Current Seafood and What the Chuck Burgers. A new one was Dixie Dharma (plant based). There is also a coffee bar - Mahogony and an ice cream place -Greenery Creamery. I may have cited them before.

**Travel Notes - FL/GA/SC/NC/VA/MD/WV: Latest trip finds - I started by seeing what was up at Atlantic and Neptune Beach (off 295 before J'ville). I tried some Penguin Tracks ice cream at a place called Whit's. I believe they are from Ohio. A new place (The Boathouse) opened a few days before in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. They had a cool menu. I had sea bass with etoufee dumplings (made from the rice etouffe usual is served with) and peach bread pudding. They also offered: fried chicken in a pickle and sunday sauce (forgot what that was), fish with chow (I believe this is Southern kim chi) and Meyer lemon mayo, banana toffee pudding (banana brulee and nilla wafer base), carrot cake churros, bbq salmon with red mule grits, a brined and barbecued chicken, a hangar steak with barrel aged worcestershire sauce (never even seen that), ribeye with black garlic steak sauce (also new), chicken and waffle mac tacos, etc. On Jekyll Island at Zachry's Riverhouse, I had crabstew (like a chowder). I ate at a new bbq place at South of the Border in Dillon SC (Q & J's). I had wings covered in Old Bay at Woody's Killer Wings on Chincoteague Island VA. In Annapolis, I tried fried shrimp heads (per Duff the cake guy on Best Thing I Ever Had or Ate) at Joss Cafe and Sushi Bar. I also had rockfish (seemed to be a local thing), anikomo (monkfish liver), Maryland crab and scallop sushi. Plus a thing I hadn't seen before called a Stoplight. They colored and flavored tobiko with red habenero and green jalapeno and dropped a yellow quail egg in the middle (served nigiri style). Inventive! At lunch I tried a Man v Food place called Chick and Ruth's Delly. Didn't do the challenge. Just a corned beef on rye. I won't expand, but, I had two meals near the University of Richmond (The Grill and Mission BBQ). Nothing worth writing about in WV, NC or SC (just ate fast food). On Tybee Island in GA, I had a humdrum meal of oyster po boy and steamed shrimp at Fannie's on the Beach. A very good dinner at Salt Island Fish & Beer. The whole menu is interesting. A chef/owner recently arrived from CO. I had a fried smelt app and sheepshead fish (local) with rice and veg in a Asian pepper (black) sauce. You have to see what this fish looks like from the front. So gross. Check out the teeth. That's all. I saw a billboard ad for canned Yam smoothie in SC. Still one step ahead of the plandemic!


No comments: