Monday, November 2, 2020

The King Crab Shack, East Colonial - Closed

I hate to paper over those hilarious observations in the last post, but, I must trudge on. I went to this seafood place at dinner on Wednesday. I tried a pound of blue crab for $14. I had been trying to find some all week in Maryland, Virginia, etc. They kept saying the season was over. The interweb says it lasts until December. Maybe they mean frozen. Like the crap they serve here. The meat was desicated, flavorless and not fresh. If they were, they so utterly miscooked them that they would lead you to believe the aforementioned. They kept pushing the gross sauces or boil seasoning. I can see why. They can't let you see them without their makeup. They also sell crawfish, king crab, snow crab, shrimp, clams, mussels, lobster, dungeness etc. I can't believe any of them would be fresh if these aren't. You can get blue crab from the St John's River. Unlike most boil places, they don't add corn or potato or anything else to the non-combo bag. I think their prices are slightly less. That is actually to my liking if true. I can't go back and compare my notes. Who wants that damn soggy corn anyway. They also sell fried stuff, po boys, combo bags, wings and a few other things in line with one of these joints. Five or six of these opened up in sequence last year. I think I've visited all but one on West Colonial. This was the worst of the lot (although I had a fried meal at the one on 436). Thye had a full bar. One other person was there at dinner. They open at 3pm. Service was good. The place used to be one of the better looking Vietnamese places just east of Mills. Lac something I think. The inside here looks good. Alot of wood. Pewter chairs. Black (low) ceiling. Fish nets. I can't imagine ever recommending a place like this. The stuff is never fresh or cooked (steamed) properly. Here's another weight on the scale of that sentiment. 

*A few things I saw driving from the Princeton exit to here. Mesa 26 on Lake Ivanhoe is now Russell's on the Lake. The place across is still unrented. A bar on Mills that had a videogame theme is now Conrad something's (or similar). Closer to 50 in what was a hot pot place that I think was called Noodles Something (maybe it even changed to a noodle place before) is now called Matcha 88 (I think). And like I mentioned a little while back, a Chinese place replaced what I think was a Vietnamese place next to Mamak. It is called Tasty Wok. 

No comments: