Saturday, October 31, 2020

Bawarchi, International Drive

 I tried this Indian franchise across from the Tasty Freeze in the middle area of the drive on Wednesday at lunch. The new (Endless Summer) hotels are near by. Surprisingly, they said they have been there for three years. So much for my observational skills. The (manhandled) menu said they have 50 locations across the US and Canada. The lady who was there said 60. They have three in Florida. One in Jacksonville and two in South Florida. I was aprehensive when I ordered. The place was empty. I Drive is empty. Covid. Indian thrift. Unbussed tables. Franchise. It all added up to disaster. So, I tried something simple-ish. I had a dosa. I gambled with the filling. I tried minced goat kheema. It was prepared in a Hyderbad (south) style. I figured any meat would be of suspicious quality, so, why try and out think the Universe. I was pleasantly surprised. The dosa was huge and well made. I'll make up a word and say "well creped". The goat had great flavor. Generous portioning. They cut it into four sections. It came with a chick pea and lentil sambal (which I thought was what they called Indonesian hot sauce). This had a drumstick chicken bone hanging out of it for some reason. They also served it with three big cups of chutneys. A peanut. A hot one. A sweet one (probably tamarind). The lady said peanut is a southern Indian thing. There were some in the goat too. I was happy with my choice. No after effects. The menu was really good. Especially for a franchise. I think it is the most extensive Indian one in CF. They specialize in biryani. Not really my favorite Indian dish. They had tandoor stuff, veggie stuff, tikka masala, etc. Plus alot of stuff I hadn't seen before. They serve most meats (no cow and no pork I think) and seafood. I'd give it a try here or in one of the other cities. My only crictisms were: they put a bottle of water on the table and then charged $2 for it (no notification), there was garbage on other tables (plenty of time to clear it), the dick heads that came in for take out orders had the volume on their smart phones on ten and of course were either on speakerphone or listening to annoying shit while they waited, the meal was served on a paper plate and a can of Coke was $2.50. If they could control the greed gene and hire a busboy and keep the Uber eats drivers out doors, the experience could be refered to as being pleasureable. 

*I had intended to pick up something to go at the sushi or Turkish place I mentioned in the Makani post. They don't open until dinner it seems. I also saw some stuff on that (the mall) side of I drive. The mall on the right (Bass Pro Shop) is now called something like Dezerland. An attraction of some sort. Not sure if it is open. The strip mall that holds the Peter Glenn ski store has some turnover. There is a sushi place (Hidden Sushi) in the corner that I think was once a Portuguese place. Two places you have to pass to get to it aren't open or under remodel (Camel something and Thunder Burger).

**I am reminded every time I drive through downtown about some mindless cheerleading I heard from a little twerp (who refers to himself as Trooper Steve because there is no way you would presume that that was his profession if he didn't) on the news. He thinks this stretch of highway is perfectly fine. Not a serpentined, rolling error in urban planning. One that should have been "straightened out" (literally) during the I-4 boondoggle. Anbody that has an issue with it is obviously an unfit driver. Not to mention there is another poorly designed stretch of freeway near Winter Park. I am reminded of twerpy's opinion every time I almost get rear ended as me and my fellow drivers enter the undualating S turns that drop us from 70 to 35 in a tenth of a mile. Could they at least put up one of those swervy icy road signs ahead of this sand trap?

***I saw this opinion piece in between car dealer ads from the guy who is always trying to karate chop a fly buzzing in front of him, the one with a a frontal view of Spuds McKenzie's lipstick doggy ding dong, the one with the Flinstone proportioned giant with two foot legs, a belt and then five feet of torso and the chubby little Arab (maybe Puerto Rican) girl with a hairdo styled by Frank Gehry.

No comments: