Sunday, October 11, 2020

Grub Crawl - Downtown: CFS Coffee, Crepe Delicious and Mecatos Cafe

 I tried these places last Friday at lunch. I grabbed all items to go. All are order at a counter places. The first is on Church St (in the middle) near the unopened Cucina. The second is on the other side of the street near the alley that goes to 7-11. The third is next to the Morgan & Morgan offices and wall St on Orange Ave. I have to add that I'm not going back down here for a while for two reasons. First, it's dead. Just scumbags loafing around. Second, even though it is dead, Mayor Pineapple Head hasn't defunded the parking police and I received a $30 ticket for being three minutes over. Glad to see municipal workers are still getting paid. I'll bet it was the first thing he's done in months. Not only should parking be free to try and mitigate the cost of their shut down, those meters never should have been put in in the first place. I just came from Naples (I'll write about it in the next post) and they don't seem to feel the need. And their 5th Ave is alot more robust than our ghost town.

CFS Coffee - I grabbed a egg white, bacon and avocado sandwich to knock them off the list. This was just a curiosity fly by that ended up costing me $30. The sandwich cost $4.50. It was pretty bad. Not Hass avocado. Pre-cooked bacon. They also had pastries, sandwiches and other things. It's Colombian in flavor. Four in CF. Open a year. Some seats. Small room. Tries to be loungy. I can't recall if they said it stands for or does not stand for Comfort For the Soul.

Crepe Delicious - A Canadian chain. Remember back a few posts ago when I was looking for someplace in the Florida Mall. This is them. They decided against the mall. They sell crepes, smoothies, gelato and drinks. I grabbed a chicken and avocado crepe for $10. The crepe was ok. A little thick. The chicken was that terrible chicken that they serve at supermarket salad bars and Subway and probably comes in a five pound bag. Not much avocado. More tomato and greens. I grabbed this because the sweet crepes were nearly as expensive. They should be half as much. Modern look. Nice owners. But, another example of Canadian inferiority. Open one year. Personally, I would have called it Delicious Crepe. It's a better "sounds like". Think on it.

Mecatos Cafe - This is what I came down to sample. I thought it was a big food market. It's just a Colombian bakery and snack spot. Mecatos means snacks. It's been open for eight months. I had Huevas Gusto (two fried eggs on an arepa). It cost $3. They took a little while to come out. It was worth it (aside from the ticket I mean). The eggs were cooked perfectly. The arepa was a little small. It was warm and seemed freshly fried. They sell hot dogs, empanadas, pan de bono, coffee, pastries, drinks, cakes and a dozen Colombian hot bites. They have seats. 

*Here is a recipe I created using crap you have left over from take out meals. This serves one. Rice (boil in a bag), shrimp (I guess you can use anything. They were selling this for like $15 off at Winn Dixie), two packets of soy sauce. two packets of Taco Bell hot sauce (Fire) and two packets of that orange slop you get at Chinese restaurants and end up tossing because it doesn't go with anything you ordered. Mix with shrimp and blend into rice.

No comments: