Thursday, October 29, 2020

Grub/Pub Crawl - Deland and Orange City: Hyderhead Brewery, Forno Bello and Blue Springs Brewing

 I tried these places two Saturdays ago around dinner time. The first is at the end of the alley off the main street through town that holds Persimmon Hollow (one street south of the courthouse). I mentioned them briefly in a past post as being under construction. The second is on the main street. Half a block north. The last place is on 17-92 (they seem to call it S. Volusia) on the way back from Deland (if you don't take I-4).

Hyderhead Brewery - A Scottish owned brewery. Just opened. Nicely constructed, small room. I think they brew off site. I had a pale ale. I think it was called Caber Toss. It was good. I think it cost $5 (no printed receipts).The selection was limited. They were already out of things. It was full. Nice vibe. Parking across street. 

Forno Bello - I had their lasagna for $17. It was ok. A bit salty with bland beef. Basil helped. It was a huge portion. They said they do things to order. I did have to wait a while, so, I guess that may be true. It came with a iceberg and crouton Caesar salad. They don't sell sandwiches on the weekends. They had a wood burning (by the look) pizza oven. A 12 inch costs $13. Typical American Italian menu. Open three years. Terrible faux fresco work. Bad art. Tin ceiling from a non-Italian period of ownership. That clashed. Dark feel. Two rooms. One had a bar area. No hostess. I wasn't expecting much. Didn't exceed expectations.

Blue Springs Brewing - This was the real point of the trip. I spotted it a few weeks ago. Opened in 2018. A brewery. Big open space. Video game room. TVs. View of brewing area. Food. Good beer. I had a flight (5) for $8. They have (I think they invented) a petit IPA that was great. The other three IPA's (fruited, unfiltered and American) I tried were good, yet, I liked the weaker petit better. They made a oat lager (they said it was a Bohemian German style). It was very good. On the menu that day were seven lagers, four IPAs, two sours and six dark and heavys. If you are a beer lover, put this and Hyderhead on the your list. 

*7/8/2021 - I think Riverwalk Pizzeria is doing the food at Blue Springs now

No comments: