Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Grub Crawl - Casselberry/Altamonte Springs: Capachos (Closed) and Medellin Burger *FL Gulf Coast Travel Notes

 I tried these two Colombian (purely a coincidence) spots on 436 on Thursday at night. I ate at the first and got something to go at the second. The first is next to a crab house and acrsos from Metro Diner near Howell Branch Rd. The second is next to a massage parlor near the light rail station. 

Capachos - They said they have been open for a year. I think I noticed them in February. They said they are open for lunch too. I tried them on the day I went to the crab place and they weren't open then. The windows are so dark that you can't tell if they are open or not. The entry is also easy to drive by. When I was there (7pm-ish), there was one table of four finishing up and a baby on the floor. It looks like it's on life support. One waitress was just biding time at the bar with the owner. He didn't even feel the urge to intriduce himself to his only customer. My waitress actually made contact. I tried the Bistec a Caballo (($16.75) because I wasn't certain they were up for more of a challenge. They had a tongue entree that I hadn't seen non-Mexicans attempt. I might have been too conservative. The steak (skirt) was well cooked and fresh and covered in sauteed onions. It came with sweet plantains, rice, avocado and a fried egg. They were all fine. I do have to admit that I never know what to do with these odd sides. I ate the eggs with some of the onions and the plantains. I added the avocado to pieces of the steak. The elements were served on a banana/plantain leaf. Decent plating. The waitress was way late (after I was done) on the refill. Not great when you serve it in a small half glass of ice and charge $3 to begin with. She did get me a tiny to go cup. Could have saved the owner and the environment a to go cup had she just filled it up during the meal. The menu is fairly representative of other Colombian restaurants. Around twenty things. Many cocktails. I don't mean this in a complimentary way. It looked like a restaurant in Colombia. A mix of restaurant and club. Old furniture. Tacky disco lights. Clutter. 70 seats. They also seemed to be economising. The oil lamps weren't lit. The lights were mostly off. You could argue it was to set a mood. but, I doubt it. There is a semi-private area towards the road. It had a computer on one of the tables. They put high tops in the middle of the dining room. Four seaters around it. There was a weird clown and a strip of balloons that I hope were left over from some kids birthday party. The one interesting elelment was a hung bicycle near the rest rooms. This isn't a great structure to begin with. When I was in school it was a Taco Bell. They need more signage that indicates that they are open. You can't assume that your customers will assume you are open in this environment. Plus if anybody misses the entrance, they are not turning around this congested part of 436 to make a second pass. The name is derived from a buddy of the owner. No interesting story behind it. Just that he had a friend who had a place named this in Colombia and copied it. Kind of indicative of the thought that seems to have not been put into this restaurant. Ok food though, I should reiterate. Closed Monday.

Medellin Burger - I tried a chicharron burger for $9. A little pricey but good. I don't love the salted/spiced patty that some regions favor. I presume it is to hide bad tasting beef. This seemed ok. Hand molded. Good glossy bun. Good topppings (potato sticks, mayo, lettuce, string cheese). The chicharron was amazing. Such a good add on. Their's is a little meaty. They may refer to it as pork belly. The rotating digital menu made it difficult to read. Perfect little bits. Many of them. They added three sauces (pineapple French and garlic) that I used one some shrimp and rice I had left over. Used the French on a Turkey sandwich. They also sell tostones, arepas and hot dogs. In the Colombian fashion. They are open every day. Sn-Th 11-11. F-Sa 11-1am. They have been open for a year. The places is a little square with the counter and kitchen in the rear. I think they had a little fridge on the left for drinks or maybe ice cream. The wall decorations were photos of Medellin. They said it was another Colombian place before this. I kind of remember it being Puerto Rican when I was last here. Maybe I missed an iteration. Good little snack place that you should try if you are around.

*Travel Notes - Florida Gulf Coast: Some quick reports from the Gulf Coast. I tried a place at Treasure Island (near St Pete Beach) called Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish. It was on Samantha Brown's Places To Love. They sell four types of smoked fish, dip and some regular fare. It was ok. I had the mullet for $15 because that's what they tried on the show. It's been in operation for a long time. I had a fairly bad Cuban at Smoque House in Sarasota (on Tamiami Trail/41). Another place on that show was Grouper & Chips (on 41) in Naples. I had sauteed red (who knew there are like eighteen varities) grouper and rice. Very good. Red grouper is smaller. The next two spots were recommended by the AAA magazine (in Naples too) I get with my membership. They should not be listened to. Mel's Diner (on 41). Just diner stuff. Cheap though. It was packed. The next place is in an area just off 41 at 5th Ave. It is called Tin City. A little dock area with some restaurants. Don't try the two lobsters for $28 at Riverwalk. I swear they were microwaved. Just terrible. I can't believe I didn't get sick. The last place turned out to be the best. It looks like a kid's theme restaurant. It turned out to be a top two Yelp spot. It is called USS Nemo. Also on 41. I had a bento box of tempura black grouper, salmon tataki, rice and apple salad. the salad was worth the price of admission itself. The salmon was a bit soft. The grouper was amazing. And I don't like fried seafood. And a huge portion. I also had to try (though no room left in the tum tum) some Wahoo tacos. A little dry and over cooked. Wah Wah. They came with the salad and a rice and beans mix. Hotels were very cheap down here. It wasn't crowded.

**I'll inform any divers or snorkelers out there that I snorkled with manatees in Crystal River (north of Tampa). Not many in the summer. It cost $72. I would rent a paddle board and bring my own mask and skip the tour companies. They just bring you to a bay that you can get to on your own. I also dove at Devil's Den and Blue Grotto in Williston. South west of Gainesville by twenty minutes. Interesting fresh water dives I saw on Rock the Park. About $135 a dive with instructor and gear and entry fees. You can also snorkel Devil's Den. St Pete Beach was pretty nice. The town beach on 5th Ave in Naples is great. Drove through Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key (north of Sarasota). Nice areas. 75 construction may be worse than the I-Sore. I tried to stay off it. Going north from Naples, the south bound lanes were a parking lot at mid day. Oofa. Poor them.

No comments: