Thursday, October 1, 2020

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Beachside Tavern, Manny's Pizza and Bird of Paradise (Closed)

I tried these places today at lunch. The first is on 46 after the bridge on the left side of the street. After Norwood's and Garlic (which would have been the bride if the opened before 4pm) something. The second is around the bend (on the same road) a mile or so. On the right. The last one (Bird of Paradise) used to be in the East End Market in Audubon Park. Check out that review. This one just opened near the drawbridge on Flagler Ave. Not trying it until out of the others on the list. Same menu. Open from 9am to 3pm. Place looks good. I'm jamming in this one and the next few (reviews) will be closer to home.

Beachside Tavern - I had a drink here a while back. Pre-blog. They said they opened sixteen years ago. It's mainly a bar with a snack bar. It looks pretty cool. Giant rhino head above the bar. Very beachy feel. Patio and open interior with high ceilings. I think I saw garage doors. The menu had two sausages, a hot dogs, two tacos, two roast beef sandwiches and maybe something else. I tried the Italian roast beef sandwich for $9. It was the most expensive thing. Most others under $5. It came with chips. It was better than expected. I don't think they do more than buy stuff and reheat, but, the roast beef was pretty good and I can't solve the mystery of who's the source. It was "shaved" thickness. It came with jus. The sub roll also wasn't anything special, but, it didn't ruin the deal. It's not fancy. It gets the job done. The road noise is tempered by a wall between the bar and the road. The parking lot is out there too. Pretty full at 1pm.

Manny's Pizza - Last time they didn't have any slices ready. This time they had one. That was ok with me. I wanted to knock this out as cheaply as possible. It looked bad. Short. Pan pizza (though not) looking. But, it was ok. Sauce was neutral tasting. Tasted fresh. Cheese was ok (NY style). Cost $2.50. The place was empty both visits. Old looking. Menu had pizza, grinders, burgers, pasta, calzone, stromboli and apps.

*I forgot to put in last post that I had an ale made from (or flavored) hemp in Montana.

**One of the best things about going to NSB (water is already getting cold) is that I can listen to 660 Florida Man Radio on the way home. Shannon Burke is the host. He and his coterie are hysterical. I'm sure it swings too far to the right for most of the readers of a homo blog like this. But, they are funny.



No comments: