Thursday, July 14, 2022

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Ava and Jacked Up (Closed)

I tried these spots last night at dinner. The first is on Park Ave in the old Luma location. The second is on Fairbanks near Spatz pool hall. 

Ava- Opened (limited) in February they said. I had the Chicken Tagine for $28. It was ok. Two drums and a thigh. Soapy tasting couscous and squash and zucchini. It's an expensive place. $90 steaks and $70 fish. My dish was second cheapest. A seafood orzo was $21. Apps were $14ish. They say they are Mediterragean. It's still mostly rustic level. I never got the upscale Greek trend. You are paying more for the 'tude than the food. The service is top notch though. The place looks like it should cost you. Greek Islands feel. Casual area, bar and dining areas. Open kitchen. They tossed in some olives, pits chips and a form of tarramoussalata. I'm sure I misspelled that. But in a rush and battery fading. High end experience if you can afford it. Dress code was lax. I came in ratty tshirt and shorts. Just no flip flops. Only open for dinner.

Jacked Up - They originally had Vegan in the name. Took over the old Wine Barn. Kept most of that. Part of Winter Park Collective. That includes Prickle Babies (plants), desserts, empanadas and a new pizza guy (Pizza Nova). I just grabbed mixed tacos with side (ff) for $10. They (fake ground beef and jackfruit) were ok. Small. OK tortilla. Cooked in a food truck. Place looks good. Very green. They put fake grass throughout. Expanding hours. Now mostly evening on week days.

No comments: