Friday, July 1, 2022

The Garlic, New Smyrna Beach *TX Travel Notes

This place is near Norwood's after you go over the Causeway/Intercoastal. I went there for dinner on Thursday (over a week ago). It's a quirky place. All these different areas. Like the Swiss Family Robinson house (if my dim memory of it serves me well). I ate in the main room. I should say that they open at 4pm and even that early it gets full. Plus parking (non-valet) is a crap shoot. I wasn't even hungry after the Ten Ten lunch. Yet, I still managed to finish the huge chicken marsala meal with garlic mashed potatoes and a salad because it was so sloppy good. It cost $26. Also came with a conference/symposium dinner level salad and a smashed whole head of garlic in vinegar with bread. The chicken was 3 or 4 tender thigh pieces (can't remember because of head down determination and food induced coma). Probably egg washed. They were drowned in sauce and oil. That should have ruined the dish, but, somehow the food floated around it (mostly). Some mushrooms in the sauce. The garlic mashed potatoes were good. Thick. The menu is mostly Italian (even pizza). A burger ($19) and such as well. Things could get pricey. Some $40+ items (ie steaks). People also seemed to be making good use of the several bar areas. Service (so many) was attentive, polite and knowledgeable. Most have refilled my ice tea four times. Which was good because of the salt from lunch mixed with the dehydration from the drive over. The place is decorated with crap. In the best way. Nick nacks, plastic grapes, wine stuff, candle wax sculptures, X-mas lights. I couldn't tell if the diners were locals or tourists. Probably both. Only open for dinner. I've passed on it for years because I've always come during the day and am usually tapped out before 4pm. I think it is probably something that needs to be experienced at least once in your life. Real old school experience. Now I only have two places remaining to be tried in NSB.

*Travel Notes - Texas: I am breaking the latest trip up. A road trip. Rental car cost nothing because I used points. Would have been $500+ for two weeks from Hertz. Budget was more. Slept at Quality Inn at City Place near Highland Park (SMU Area) for $90. Ate lunch at El Fenix downtown by the Ross Perot Museum. All these Dallas meals were probably from some article I read on the oldest Mexican restaurants in town or something. This place is 1917 or something. Just had an average chicken burrito to go because I wouldn't download the gd app for parking in Dallas. Place was disappointing looking anyway. And menu was basic. Had dinner at the supposedly highest end Mexican place in town. Called Javier's. Same deal with the parking. Grabbed chicken mole with rice and beans to go. Place was kind of weird. Taxidermied animals, etc. Was packed though. This was in Highland Park. No shorts. 1950's I think. Had lunch the next day at El Bolero off Riverfront. More dt. This was only ten years old. The best meal. Modern place. I had crema de flor de calabaza (squash blossom) soup and Taco Arabes. They were shaved pork (al pastor) on a pita. I saw White Rock Lake and Park ne of Highland Park and had beer at Civil Pour while waiting for my Sonesta Select (a few exits north on 75 from the QI) to let me in. It cost $86. Much nicer. As was this area. Had lunch down the street (why I stayed here) at Tupinamba Cafe. 1950 something. Now owned by an ex A&M basketball player. I had a beef and a chicken Tupay taco (fried like Jack in the Crack) and a guacamole tostada . Drove out of town (75 to 35E). Stopped for a cinnamon roll and strawberry kolache at Slovack's in West. It is in a gas station. Billboard's all over. I've meant to try it forever. Stayed at the Shady Villa Hotel in Salado for $94. Had beer at Barrow Brewing. Saw some things in town like gas blowing (the town was on Day Tripper on PBS). Had more beer at Chupacabra. Too full from lunch and tired to get dinner. Cute, ghost town-y type of town on a creek. Further on to Comfort Suites in Round Rock for $103. Drove from there to Taylor on 79 for Louis Mueller's Barbecue. Had the 10 Gallon sandwich of brisket, pulled pork and sausage. Drove back and saw a Round Rock Express (Texas Ranger's AA team) game for $32 (home plate) plus $15 parking. Freddy's dcb for dinner. Drove back up to Jarrell to the Granary (was a John Mueller place - he just died). Had pork ribs and brisket and they gave me some brisket tamales (because I'm so damned charming) for free. They also sold pureed squash with cheese and an ice pop made with pickle juice. Didn't try. Drove east from there to 95 past Taylor to Elgin. Then east on 290 to Houston. Stayed at BW in Spring for $97. Ate a brisket and pulled pork sandwich at Cork Screw BBQ (also on Day Tripper). All bbq places were excellent and very highly ranked. Cork Screw had the best flavors and pulled pork. The ribs at Granary were so so. Their brisket was the most traditional. Had intended on trying Snow's. They only open on Saturday and were closed this week. Also by passed on Austin because hotels were through the roof and the traffic, etc.

No comments: