Saturday, June 3, 2023

Grub Crawl - I Drive and Universal Area: Egg-Celente, Volcano Hot Pot, Oodle and Mr Cool

I tried these spots on Wednesday at lunch. I noticed that the strip mall behind what was once (and still might be) Pirates dinner theater is now condos. Roboland (and a place within it mentioned within the year by the OW - Sophie's) has shuttered before I could report on it. Many others on this side of I Drive have closed. They have built up the area close to I-4 near the outlet mall. These places were Plan D. 

Egg-celente - A Latin breakfast joint. Open for six months? Was a boil place. Just south of Kirkman. Open 8am to 3pm (sometimes). Tourist pricing. I can't see it surviving. One table besides myself at noon. Rita's Ices aside. Looks fine. New. Modern. Parking in rear. I had the Smash Burger because at this price point it was that or cold cuts. Ate it for dinner. They slop some onion/pepper gruel atop a 1/4 pounder-ish cheese burger. Bacon. Over cooked. Iffy veg and mayo sauce. Cost $17. Came with bad (starch coated) fries. Small portion. Too put this in perspective, I found similar cbs at the AIRPORT at the "fancy" restaurants at the same price point at T3 at MCO the next day. Their breakfast options were: $15 bennies, $13 waffles or pancakes or 2 egg meals, or a ridiculous $15 egg sandwich. Lunch was $14 wraps or $15 panini assortment.

Volcano - Opens at 1pm. Poor, buffet of junk. I passed when I learned it was $30 for soup or bbq. $35+ for the combo. I've tried to try this place three of four times and have never seen another customer anywhere near it. It must rock at night? Or it is a front. Another Brazilian place name Pau Na something is opening near it. It's on Kirkman and I Drive. 

Oodle - Shockingly this spot (plan d) that I spotted when I tried the Chengdu place across the street a few weeks ago, was the winner of the day. And it is a ramen (soup) place! I had the Tan Tan Ramen for $15. It was a sweet, creamy pork both with ground pork and mushrooms and sprouts. You could actually chew these noodles. Properly timed. Not rubbery rice crap. They offer up 14 small plates like buns, karaage and takoyaki ($6-$10). 5 rice bowls ($12-$18). 9 ramen ($15). Even a dry one (mazemono). 6 desserts. Open 11-10pm (11pm on F/Sa). In the strip mall at Kirkman and Conroy. They said it was a Smash Burger. Opened in January. Black and gray scheme. Modern. Bird shaped lights. L shaped. Bar. 4 tvs above. Anime, news and food network. Bar side room was a 3 x 4 x 4 set up. Thin patio outside a thin inside area of tables. About half full after 1pm. Two servers. Let me remind you that I hate soup places. This was a surprise. 

Mr Cool - I thought I remembered an ice cream spot in the rear of this strip mall (Oodle one) from the last trip here. Turns out I was right. But, it may not have been open then. Opened two months ago. They sell rolled ice cream, bubble tea, waffles and fruit juices. I grabbed a $6 Thai Milk Tea without boba to go. Ok. Their first spot is in Miami. Too expensive. Waffle kebab (5 or less pieces) and ice cream are $8. Full waffle set up is $13. Drinks are $6 for a small. Big, blue room. Closed some of the time. Empty. 

*Can someone explain to me how when I click on 'Statistics" I have hundreds of views for a day (ie when I post a new review) and my dashboard tells me I only have had 6 people view my post? Fuck you Google.

No comments: