Friday, June 16, 2023

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary, Longwood and Sanford: Bronx House, Red Sea and Dees Brothers Brewery

I tried these spots on Tuesday during the day. The first replaces Papa Joe's at the strip mall on Lake Mary Blvd that has the Target. The second is near the train tracks on 434 in the old Daniel's Bakery spot. The last is on Magnolia in downtown.

Bronx House Pizza - They changed the look and added Detroit style pizza. They kept the pizza oven, so, my two slices were the same (actually less cooked) but now $3. They don't do Detroit slices. The only interesting thing seemed to be the menu pic of lasagna. But, it was $16. The place has higher ceilings now and looks sharp. Too sharp. I think it's a chain. Three came up just in Ormond area alone when I did a quick check. Open for a month.

Red Sea - Jordanian/Lebanese fare. Expensive. $45 for lamb. $35 for shrimp. $25 for chicken cubes. $9 hummus. $11 falafel. The $17 buffet was mostly chicken in different ways, so, I tried a $12 tasteless beef shwarma. Added 50 cents for cc use. Soggy tomato. Too raw onion. Thin wrap. The beef wasn't overcooked, but, charred. Beef was in strips. Didn't really digest well. Open for B, L, D. Seven days. Breakfast buffet for $10 on WE. Four locations. Good redo. Shabby chic Arab. Fifteen tables. Black and green. Entertainment area and tv. Music on WE. They should take down the pennants from the old owners though. Empty. Open for one week. They said OW just came in to review them. They are Middle Eastern, so, of course. I'll bet they rave about the food. Because, of course. It's just a bad value. Especially if the food isn't top notch. And I don't think they can reach that level based on what I experienced. And the atmosphere is even more dubious. I think you can skip it.

Dees Brothers Brewery - Not sure how I hadn't heard that they opened in 2020. I had two 5ozers for $3.50 a pop. Both good. Red Ale and Black IPA. Open most of the day. Big spot. Across from theater. They sell overpriced food too. Some Swedish options. Two, rustic, wood rooms. Ok crowd for happy hour.

No comments: