Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Grub Crawl - Ocoee and West Colonial (50): Mi Querida Colombia, Sun Pearl Bakery, Pho Saigon

I went to these spots last Monday at late breakfast/lunch. The first is in a strip mall before that toll road that you pass before Winter Garden. The next two are in Chinatown.

Mi Querida Colombia - It means my lovely Colombia. Open for ten years. Expensive for rustic food. Therefore, I settled on the arepa con huevos y jamon y queso  for $8. The menu says it comes with coffee. They said it does not. White corn arepa. A bit thin, raw and burnt. Ok eggs and ham. Nowhere near as good as my own. I fork whip them and add some liquid and then continually fork them in the pan. Most people just let them sit and become an omelet. The menu has the usual Colombian stuff. Steak platters rise to $28. That's a mar y tierra. They have rump cap, lengua, sobrebarriga (brisket), mondongo (tripe stew), etc. Four booths. Two rows of four tables. Mural on the wall. Glass pastry case across from that. A bit disappointing.

Sun Pearl Bakery - They said they have been there for twenty years. I have to have been there before. Taiwan bakery. Cash only. Tax included in the price. I grabbed a coffee flavored chiffon cake with vanilla icing for $3. It was ok. A pretty big selection. However, I think of Asian desserts like I think of their rice noodles versus pasta. It just tastes less good. It's towards the rear on the more built up side of the complex. Closes at 5pm.

Pho Saigon - Even more towards the left rear than Sun. Ten years old. They hide the prices on the outside menus. I had the small brisket and meatball pho for $11. It was pretty good. Brisket was a bit tough. Meatball was one half of a big one sliced into thirds. Ok.  Veg and noodles were fresh. Broth was ok. Big enough serving. A bit more than the usual items. Pho and rice dishes run from $12 - $15. $18 summer rolls. The place is pretty drab. Never very many people. 

*I was in Chinatown to try a new Vietnamese place across the parking lot. It doesn't seem to have opened yet.

No comments: