Thursday, October 5, 2023

Grub Crawl - Azalea Park and Casselberry: Old Cuban Cafe and V's Diner (Closed)

I tried these spots on Tuesday night. The first is on Goldenrod near Underhill. The second is in the strip mall on 436 that has Buffalo Wild Wings and Wa Sushi. It has no sign, so, it is easy to drive by it. 

Old Cuban Cafe - In an abandoned gas station. Hard to relate facts because they spoke no English. Some pre-prepared baked goods, sandwiches and a by the container assortment of cooked things. Mostly chicken, veg and pork. I think a plate with sides started at over $13. I just gave up and ordered a Cuban sandwich. It cost $9. They don't list any prices anywhere. It was like pulling teeth. Sandwich was ok. Alot of ham and what was either thinly sliced pork or turkey. They didn't really fawn over it. Maybe they were just trying to make it fast to get the gringo out of their hair? No oil or butter on the outside of the bread. So, dry. Not much decor. Big space. Open from 6am to 8pm. No reason to search them out.

V's Diner - A vegetarian place. Open for a month or so. We all know I'm not one of these herbavores, but, I may become one. While I was overseas (notes to follow in the next post) I had the McVegan burger four times. Because it was only around $2.50 and Ronald's burgers are getting so bad that it was superior in comparison. Here I just tried the large fries for $6 because their normal dishes were around $13 and I already had the Cuban. They were great fries though. Soooo many. Thick, carrot stick like ones. But, fried long enough that many edges were crisp and insides were toasty. They also sprinkled them with a nice, powdered (bbq?) seasoning. I ditched the second half of the Cuban and ate these the rest of the drive home. I still have a third left. They can cover these fries with cheese and chili or both. They also do all the fake stuff. Chicken, beef, etc. Around eight main items. Some more sides. Manageable. Those platters seemed very large as well. The place looks like a 50's diner. All white. A little odd juxtaposition of themes. I saw Asteroid City on the plane. This diner would have been perfect for that slightly askew fantasy world. They have a small staff. They were nice. And honest. They were going to send me off with a small box of fries (I wouldn't have been the wiser) and the cook called them back when he realized the ticket said large. It has about ten tables. There may have been another room with more. Half full at 7pm. I am intrigued enough with what I saw that I think I will go back. And I really was just trying to cross it off the list. I think they said they open at 11am and close at 8pm. They are the closest establishment in the strip mall to 436.

No comments: