Thursday, February 1, 2024

Grub Crawl - Downtown: Eola Lounge and Neveyah

I tried these spots on Tuesday at dinner. They are next to each other on South Eola Drive and Church St. Where Stubborn Mule is. Both are only open for dinner. I did find free parking down the street from them.

Eola Lounge - I forget what was here before. Some kind of California themed something something? I don't think they changed much. Maybe a small, platform stage? On the list for at least a year. They have a nice looking bar. A patio area in front. The menu was a bit disappointing. I don't think it is the focus. They divide it into sections like land and sea. Dishes are from all over the globe. I passed on the chicken skewers (Morocco) after learning there were only two of them ($16). I went for the salted croaker fried rice for $18. It was ok. The croaker (if that was what it was) was dried as described. Served as crumbles. That wasn't the problem. It just doesn't taste very good. No desiccated seafood does. I'm not sure from what country this hails from? Laos? They also had a blue crab version. I think that is Thai. The rice was good though. Not too oily. Fresh. Not dry. They prepared it quickly. Fair portion. I remember a burger and some Greek stuff on the menu. There were around 24 options. Some small bites. It seats about sixty. Ten at the bar. There were only six people there (at the bar). Palm tree wall paper. Square floor plan. You can probably skip it.

Neveyah Sushi & Thai - I'm not a fan of this combo. They seem incompatible. I went Thai because the sushi prices were too high (I really can only justify some AYCE sushi at this point). I had Singapore Noodles with chicken for $16. For the record, I can get these at the local Chinese Take Out for $9. It tasted of dry curry powder not sauce. The chicken was a bit dry/old. The ultra thin noodles were good. They tossed in some bland, long, translucent vegetable and some long cut scallion with it. Decent portion. Took too long to cook. They had the usually Thai offerings. There is a sushi bar in the rear. L shaped room. Modern. Dark black mostly. Seats around sixty. Three at the bar and three in seats. Patio too. They used to be open for lunch (why I was there last week). No longer. This was Oudom six months ago. They said they are about to switch up the menu. You can pass on this one as well. 

*I will have Travel Notes and four more reviews on Sunday. FYI - I saw a taste test on tv with the three new Subway snacks. Pretzel ($3) was disgusting. Churro ($2) was ok - thin. Cookie was the best. But the most ($5).

No comments: