Thursday, February 8, 2024

Grub Crawl - Winter Park and Maitland: Chayote, Zymarium and Cow & Cheese

I tried these spots on Sunday at lunch. The first is in Winter Park Village. The second is on Mills. The third is north of The Enzian in a strip mall. If the reviews are short it is because Im using my touch screen on my tablet.

Chayote - They just started Sunday brunch that day. I had a shiitake omelette with goat cheese and a English cream sauce (a mushroom cream sauce). It didn't really work as a whole. Thin omelette. Probably two small eggs. A bit plastic-y. A ton of goat cheese. It was to have come with brown bread. They forgot that. Would have helped dispatch the goat cheese. The sauce was mostly decorative. It cost $19. They knocked $6 off for the bread snafu. Unprovoked. The rest of the brunch menu items consisted of pancakes, eggs Florentine, croque monsieur, alcapurrias, ahi tartare, burger, branzino and some other things. $19 and up. The space is large. Seats about 100. Space between tables. About half full and getting fuller.  A bar between two sections. White, tan, brown stain and wine coloring. Wood. Statue up front. Modern classic. Plush backs. The servers all were dressed up in black with gold ties. Good service. Water was off tasting tap. Cool glasses. Average plates and silverware. People seemed to dress up, but, they let me in with a windbreaker and shorts. No res. The guy has six restaurants in Puerto Rico. They said he was on the line that day. He some relationship with Norman Van Aken, I think. The dinner menu is pricy. I'm not sure if I would pay up for it. This was a nice outing though. And nice extended hand to the hoi polloi. I could live without the banging pots music they were playing. They opened this Fall.

Zymarium - I did a flight of 5 for $28. It was good. They make mead. From regional honey. They have quite a few varieties. The place is black and gold with honeycomb accents. Plush. Minimal. Not open on M-W. Open for a few months.

Cow & Cheese - They were on The Weekly's Best Bites list. I was going to make the whole review this phrase - urban Shake Shack. Then I learned it is the Chicken Fire guy. So, bingo. I had a double cheeseburger for $6. Ok. I liked the cheese. Gave me a lot of indigestion though. And I hate smash burgers anyway. Let's knock all the juice out of an already leathery piece of meat! Makes sense to me. They don't do much more than multiple patty burgers. Fries. The place is basic. Some graffiti murals. A few tables. It was full at 2pm. Not on my Best Bites list. Closed M and Tu. No cash. Open a few weeks.

No comments: