Monday, April 8, 2024

Grub Crawl - Casselberry: Big Taco and Super 8 Chinese

I tried these spots on Thursday at dinner. They are next to each other in the shopping area on 436 and Howell Branch Rd. The one with a Metro Diner.

Big Taco - I tried the most expensive dish at $15. A pick two options. I chose a ground beef hard taco and a pork burrito. It came with beans and rice. The taco was the size of a Tijuana Flats taco. More meat. Slightly different shell. I had it loaded. Tomato, lettuce, onion, jalapeno, sour cream, cheese and black olives. It was fine. The beef was a bit more chunky than supermarket ground beef. I had the burrito the same way. It had less sour cream. The pork was marinated with some herbs that I couldn't place. Epasote? It was good. Big. Flour tortilla. Ungrilled. I chose refried beans. A bit bland. Topped with a little cheese. A cups worth. The rice was mushy. Odd flavor. Also a cups worth. They also sell quesadillas, queso crunch, chimichangas, enchiladas, bowls, street tacos, salads, nachos, chili bowls, spinach and artichoke dip, Mexican pizza and churros. Between $10 and $14. Some come with chips and salsa. Order at the counter. Around thirty seats. Modern. Three large murals of things with bandanas. I remember Bob Marley and Tony Soprano. Open since November. Not bad overall.

Super 8 Chinese - I used to live nearby and I think this place was here back when. A take out place. Looks worn. I got a small egg drop and wonton soup mix for $3 and a small Chinese vegetable soup for $2.45 because they had a $5 min. The veg was good. Clean broth. Not salty. Fresh veg. The mix was the same until the dumplings. They tasted off, so, I tossed them (3). Not much meat. Thick wrapping. Both smalls were a decent size. A pint? They had the usual menu plus egg foo yung and lo mein and mei fun. $12 and under.  $40 roast duck and the large sushi selection were a surprise. Sushi was around $2.50 a piece. I wonder if they can pull it off. $7.50 lunch. No seats. Run down. It doesn't seem like they can produce quality. Is it possible? You aren't seeking it, so, it isn't important. Open 7 days. 

*There is a bagel place here too. Across the street is a new place called Ave Maria.

No comments: