Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gyosai, Sanford - Closed

Today I tried the newly opened Gyosai from Tokyo by Japanese on 46. I had the Sushi Bento Box for $9.95. It consisted of a 4 piece California Roll that was a little vinegary. A 4 piece Chef Roll (tempura something bits). A piece of salmon, white tuna, tuna, shrimp and snapper. The fish were all good (the tuna was fading) and the rice was not soft, vinegary nor cold. It also came with a rather gooey interiored, vegetable spring roll , an iceberg lettuce salad with japanese dressing and a pinch of seaweed salad. The place had nothing on the walls (looked like a stir fry Asian take out) and a Japanese stone reflection garden in the front. It seemed to have only 3 employees (service was not fast for the 10 or so customers). I think it has promise. I think the quality here will be better here than in the Chinese run Samurai. I hope they're Japanese run if they say "...by Japanese". However, Samurai will leave you fuller. I think the loser in the Lake Mary/Sanford sushi wars must be Yokohama and Fuji. Gyosai will probably have the better quality and Samurai the better quantity appeal. I don't include Amura because it is too full of itself. Chains that act like boutique restaurants - for shame.

I recommend that they "pretty-up" the place and get some more staff. I have every confidence that they will. Then I'lll really get picky.

No comments: