Monday, September 1, 2008

Pei Wei, Baldwin Park

I'm not sure a chain (especially a PF Chang associate) should be rated, but here it goes. On Friday night I stopped in at this restaurant on 50 (near The Roxy) after an unsatisfying encounter at Pho 77 Vietnamese Noodle Shop on 17-92 (only took MC and Visa - I boycott non Amex supporters - and the Spring Roll was supposed to have pork and shrimp but only had tasteless shrimp). I had the Dan Dan Noodles for $6.95. It was noodles in a spicy red sauce (flew all over the place when you ate it with chop sticks) with ground chicken, zuchini, nuts, and garlic. I'm not a noodle bowl guy, but, I liked it. What I liked even better is not having to tip. You order at the counter and get your own beverage and they bring the bowl to you and you bus it. You get in and out fast and a $7 meal stays a $7 meal. The place was clean and well decorated for a chain. The staff (who you hardly interact with was not noticeably unpleasant). The place was full. And no, I was not hungry an hour later. I recommend this place for a quick, no-nonsense asian fix.

I would recommend a few more menu offerings, especially appetizers that don't cost as much as the entrees. We see your web of avarice. It doesn't endear you to those who would do more than sample your establishment.

No comments: