Monday, March 23, 2009

Gargi's, Orlando

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant on Saturday. I had the Strachiatelle (sp) for $6. It's Italian Matzo Ball soup. It's chicken broth with noodles and lots of egg whites. It was very satisfying. I had Lasagna for $14 as an entree. While visually appealing (not cut from a pan), the pasta was way overcooked. It was pastey. I think it may have been re-warmed because it was overcooked without arriving hot on my plate. It was also bland. I don't think they spiced the dish at all. The meat was grey so I originally thought it was veal but, it might have been beef that had the blood boiled out of it from it's own juices during baking. The cheese was flavorless too. The service was polite. Although, it was subject to an unfortunate criticism that I'm having to assign more and more of these days - understaffing. There were only two waiters for the dinner service.

The place is on a lake and it was a beautiful setting for this time of year. It's on that lake in between Princeton and 50 on the good side of town (N.Orange). It serves about 30 tables. The place was about 1/2 full. The crowd was eclectic. Yokels, bourgeosie, gays, women who booze, and a some kind of youth church group were there on Saturday. The best story I overheard was a yokel lionizing the comedy and intelligence of Jeff Foxworthy. The gay couple next to him were forced to put down their cancer sticks for a second in order to savor the moment. The place is clean. The silverware is clean. The decor is an afterthought. I would recommend it for the view and hope that your muse just ordered the wrong thing on the wrong night.

No comments: