Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kafe Kalik, I Drive

On Friday I had dinner at this Bahamian restaurant in the Prime Outlets Mall at the end of I Drive. I had Calamari and Conch Frito for $9. Two large slices of conch. A bit chewy. A nice pile of calamari. Not oily. Didn't need the marinara sauce (actually a bit off theme and unnecessary). It also came with a little salsa with Bahamian peas. I also had a piece of conch sushi for $2.25. Thin slice. Not crunchy (fresh). Over vinagered rice. I finished with a West Indies Curry Crunch Roll for $8. Nice. Filled with cooked Mahi-Mahi, cucumber, avocado, and topped with two sauces and crunchies. The menu swung from burgers and ribs to fish and sushi. They also have an outdoor bar with loud island music. It seats about 30 by the kitchen (exposed), 30 in the inside bar and 50 outside. The decor is plausible for an island theme. It is new and clean. The service was fast and concerned. It's not the cheapest option in the world, but, they did have $6 burgers if you bring the kids and parking is free. They do address a form of cuisine that is under served. Name 3 Bahamian restaurants. How about 2? One? A notch below authentic, ethnic dining or sushi. But I applaud the attempt to fuse. Akin to a Bahama Breeze. A little more creative, but, as I recall the Breeze had better execution (maybe because they didn't attempt sushi).

No comments: