Sunday, April 25, 2010

Trattoria Toscana, Winter Park

On Wednesday I had lunch at this Italian restaurant on Park Avenue (near the 7-11). I had a plate of Lasagna for $7 (rereading my receipt it seems they overcharged by 50 cents). I figured it would be the best way to sample the basic ingredients. The tomato sauce was bland. It tasted like it was just pulled staright from a can with nothing added. The lasagna noodles were passable. There was not a lot of ricotta. The mozzarella wasn't overly flavorful. The meat was bland. It was served as two pieces (however they weren't uniform so I don't know if the split one piece or pulled one piece out of who knows where). It wasn't exactly bubbling out of the oven. All and all it was average (slightly better than Sbarro). I believe it was also prepared in advance and reheated. It needed some flavor in the tomato sauce and meat. Cream might have helped. It deeply needed the parmesan kicker offered by the waiter. My service was good, but, I could see how others would feel differently as more and more people were seated. There was only one waiter. The place seats about 36 inside and 2o outside. It's a cozy space. The decor is old world. It was clean. I know it's very popular with the people who work in the area. It was full by the time I left. It was what I expected. Another middle of the road Italian place adored by people who have never been to the Boot. The bread was the highlight.

No comments: