Monday, January 24, 2011

Spooky's Black Cat Cafe, Milk District

I had dinner at this Eclectic restaurant on Robinson off 50 down Bumby on Saturday night. I had ribs with red potatoes for $9. I was disappointed with the meal and with the sparse selection in general (they even ran out of some of the offerings). They served me three tough ribs and a half a hand full of potatoes. I really suggest that non-barbeque joints refrain from serving ribs. You don't cook them long enough. The place mostly serves lunch fare - flatbread, Indian and Mediterranean dips, and wraps. The service is SLOW. How long does it take to stuff a wrap? I got the feeling that the kitchen was a scene out of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares or Half Baked. I even spotted one underling rushing out to the 7-11 for ice. I hope the refrigerator didn't go down. The service is pleasant but undermanned. There is one Joe Walsh looking hippy and the Manager. If the food didn't come out so slow you would really feel the lack of wait staff. The place is a cross between a stoner's dorm room and a deli. It's furnished with all forms of furnishing recycled from the street on trash day (they even have an old futon cover on the ceiling). It gives it character. But Gary Busey is a character too and I'm not sure how much time you would want to spend with him. They have a big beer menu (what I think most people come for). They also sell wine. Wine that you can find a block over at Total Wine for half the price. I could see my way recommending it for lunch. Tepidly. It's small. It seats about 20. People were waiting for seats. The place was patronized by a surprisingly diverse set of people for a hipster spot in the middle of no where. I should note that I was only there because my first choice - The Social Chameleon (a sister restaurant) - could only seat ten inside.

No comments: