Saturday, April 2, 2011

Capt. Sal's Po-Boys, Altamonte Springs - Closed

I grabbed a Chicken Po-Boy at this little shack next to a now defunct ice shop in a gas station on 436 near Bubbalou's (how ridiculous am I becoming that my land markers are now restaurants) a few Mondays ago. I chose Chicken because I didn't want any surprises while on my flight out of town (a risk with any seafood) and to round out my Po-Boy resume. It cost $5.50. I'm sad to say that it happened so long ago that I can barely remember particulars of its flavor profile. I do remember it was pressed. The chicken was grilled. It had lettuce and tomato and a sauce. The roll was baked on the premises. What I would like to convey is that the owner was a guy you want to root for. He says he learned his trade on Gulf shipping vessels. He would pepper the ship's cook with questions and help prepare the meals in his down time. He even has an MBA. All the meals are cooked to order. He has many Latin dishes as well. He also serves breakfast and burgers and daily specials. His only assistance is his wife (who was not there at the time). I would encourage you to give him a try. If only to support a classic American success story of an individual who still cares about the quality of his product. The food is quite good too.

No comments: