Saturday, April 2, 2011

Grub Crawl - Audubon Park and Mills : Junior's Diner, Blue Bird Bakery (Closed), Rainbow Sno Cones, Rhapsodic Bakery

Junior's Diner - I had lunch at this diner at the end of a strip mall yesterday. I had two eggs, sausage (3) home fries and toast for $5 and change. Everything was good. The service was good. They have all you diner favorites. It's not expensive. It seats about 50 with a counter, tables and booths. It was nearly full. The decor is plain. Blue Bird Bakery - My real reason for coming back to this area. It's in the strip mall after Junior's. I bought a Guinness Cream cupcake for $2+. It came in a fancy box with a little cupcake cozy inside. The cupcake was rich. The Guinness gave the chocolate an earthy flavor. The icing was a sweet, white cream. It's not a huge cupcake, but, worth it. And I hate sweets. The space is small, but, terribly cute. It's very clean and modern. Plus all the staff and most of the clientele is young and female which never hurts. A very friendly atmosphere. Rainbow Sno-Cones - A few store fronts from Blue Bird. I didn't want a sno-cone, but, since I was already there I had to experiment. I had a Tiger's Blood (no relation to a celebrity recently in the news) kiddie sno-cone for $1.25. It was coconut and strawberry. It was tasty and lasted a long time in my broiling car interior. It ended up saving my life later on that afternoon. It's a small shop. You can't go in. You order from the window. The owner was nice. They have a lot of flavors to choose from. Raphsodic Bakery - This place was not in Audubon Park. It's almost at the corner of Mills and 50. I had a gluten-free Double Chocolate cupcake for $2.50. I'm sorry to report that it was awful. Looks like you really need that gluten after all. It was small. It stuck (almost entirely) to the wax paper. It tasted like rye bread. It was better if you ate the icing and cake together. It barely tasted of chocolate. On the positive side, the place is cute and the staff is friendly. It seats about 16. Parking could be a problem.

No comments: