Monday, June 13, 2011

Evermore Taste Garden, Sanford - Closed

I had lunch at this self-proscribed Oriental Restaurant on 17-92 (on the side of 417) in the strip mall that has the Bravo Market last Thursday. I had a bowl of Taiwanese Soup for $6.25 and Wine Chicken for $9. The soup was what I was in the mood for after my frustrated attempt to find the elusive Taiwanese restaurant on Wednesday. That is how I found out about this place. It was on Yelp when I searched for Taiwanese places. In retrospect, the soup wasn't too complicated. I believe they just add some bamboo shoots, carrots, mushrooms, pork strips and black pepper to the wanton soup's broth. It was refreshing nevertheless. The pork may have been a little gamy. The wine chicken was half a bird stewed in wine and served cold. I have to believe they use a rice wine. It didn't have the tart after taste of a grape wine. It was savory, salty and moist. It came with the skin on. The skin was of a boiled texture and full of gelatin. I believe real advocates of Chinese cooking will be excited about that. I understand they consider that a delicacy. I haven't achieved that level of sensory evolution yet. The novelty of it made it worth the risk. I, in no way, want you to think it wasn't good because it was. The chef said it's a Shanghai recipe. This is funny because I always was led to believe that Shanghai meant spicy. Live and learn. The place couldn't be in a worse location. But, maybe that will add to the allure. This strip mall is poorly located , old and filled with undesirable tenants. The restaurant itself is clean if a little worn. It looks scary from the outside. But, overcome your apprehensions. They have about 50 seats (mostly tables of four). The decor is spartan. The service (1) was helpful and polite. The chef even hand delivered a sample plate of their new special (fried chicken). The regular menu is a little pedestrian. Your usual suspects. Good for those of you who do not want to stretch your boundaries. But, the secret (and the reason you may want to seek out this place) is the Chinese language menu. That is where the real goodies are. I suggest you try and find this place. Authentic Chinese is hard to find and you can be a trend setter. The place has only been open for two weeks. Check out the Bravo Market when you are there. It caters to Hispanic tastes and serves some prepared meals.

No comments: