Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Grub Crawl - Millenia and S. Hiawassee : Zaxby's, NYPD Pizza, Treasure Stars, Baklava/Carvel

Zaxby's - I was fooled into thinking (by its structure) that this was in the TGI Mc PuffNStuff category. It wasn't. So this turned into a pub crawl. Zaxby's is a fast food restaurant (probably no surprise to you) specializing in chicken. But, that doesn't mean it is any worse than those ubiquitous citadels of mediocre ability. It's located across the Millenia Mall on Conroy. I had a Big Zax Snack (3 chicken fingers, crinkle cut fries, texas toast and a soda) for $5.49. I found it superior to the rest of the fast food chicken haunts (Chik-Fila, KFC, Bojangles and Popeyes) even if I jettisoned that unwelcomed grease sponge. They provided more food at better or equal quality. In addition, they put in much more effort into the atmosphere than the aforementioned competitors (50's era memorabilia). It's TGI Mc PuffNStuff ambiance at fast food prices. I hope they build one near me soon.

NYPD Pizza - Had a slice. Same as the rest. A little friendlier. This and the rest were in a strip mall on S. Hiawassee to the west of Universal off Conroy.

Treasure Stars - I had a bowl of wonton soup. Same as every other wonton soup I have ever had at a Chinese take out restaurant.

Baklava/Carvel - This was an interesting one. A Carvel with a Middle Eastern and American restaurant within. I just had (have to remember got is not a word) an assortment of desserts to go, but, they had a pretty exhaustive menu. They have the expected dips and pies plus breakfast, salads, burgers, sandwiches and platters. I would suggest that they call this out more effectively in the store. I only realized they had this when I looked at their menu at home. The signs in the store made you think they just had a few options. The owner (a very nice Syrian out of NYC) said they would be trying pizzas soon. Let me know how it is.

No comments: