Friday, September 21, 2012

Gordon's Be Back Fish House, Eatonville

I ordered some items to go from this fish house near to the Zora Neale Hurston House (don't know who she was or that there is a museum dedicated to her...well how about the Birds of Prey sanctuary...heard of that) on Wednesday. I so wanted to be able to assuage my white guilt by championing the only remaining restaurant on that side of the tracks, but, a luke warm report is the best I can do. And I can only do lukewarm because my delay in sampling the food may have caused some of its unpalpability. I had a "trout" sandwich for (daily special price) for $4 and chicken wings for $5.50. I say "trout" because the skin didn't look like trout skin. It had a diamond shaped pattern more typical of the Basa on the menu. It was six pieces on white bread (this Southern affectation is the biggest insult to the culinary world on the planet). Some pieces tasted ok. Some seemed rancid. I have a feeling that the fish was old. It was definitely frozen. The batter had little taste. The skin was soggy, but, I already explained that I may have let it sit long enough to lose it's texture. The wings were average. The sauce was a little tart. The skin wasn't crisp (could have steamed while it sat). It was supposed to be five wings, but, they gave me eight. So there's that. It came with crinkle fries (also not crisp - maybe sat too long). It's hard to recommend a place in which the best thing you had from them was the fries after you topped them with some home cooked chili and left over cheese from your Subway sandwich. I only encourage you not to totally write them off because of my miscalculation on eating time (I was going to eat it with something from one of the food trucks in WP, but, they seem to be all closed down for lunch now) and the fact that the owner couldn't have been nicer. The place is small. It seats about twenty. It is in a little white shack near the new welcoming pillars on Kennedy Blvd (in between the strip mall that houses Copper Rocket and the new condos). It serves fried fish (6 types), wings, shrimp and some interesting desserts. I recommend you lower your expectations and make a day out of visiting the two places of interest on this street and rolling the dice that the food is better hot out of the grill. The neighborhood is often overlooked and can deliver a diversion. Plus you can see where they spent some of your TARP money.

No comments: