Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Grub Crawl - Apopka: Roc City Diner, Heber's Cuban Cafe, Golden Wok Buffet

I tried these restaurants out yesterday. Thankfully, there seemed to be the few restaurants I hadn't tried in A-poop-ka and now I don't have to go back again for a while.

Roc City Diner: I went her because the fat lady at the Sentinel did a piece on them a few weeks back. What a waste of ink. This place blows. It sounded mildly interesting because of a Rochester connection and I didn't eat there the last time I was in Northwestern NY. I had a Zweigles hot dog (which I guess is a regional specialty) for $5. It sucked. It tasted like bologna. They compounded the problem by grilling it. Mmm... burnt bolgna. I topped it with sauerkraut. They grilled this too and changed the brightness of the pickling into a soggy mess. It came with chips. They were the best part. It was about $3 too expensive (as is everything on the menu). I only had the hot dog because I could see from what other people were being served that everything was bad. I even left my seat and had it to go because the place is so dingy. They have shoddy memorabila for decoration. The ceilings have water stains. The tables a chairs looked like they came from the thrift section of a supply house. I know it's only supposed to be a diner, but, I think you would do better at a fast food restaurant. I was going to order some specialty called a "Beef on Weck" for $7, but, it looked worse than an Arby's sandwich (definitely less meat). I suggest you save gas and avoid this place. And punch the fat lady in her stomach if you see her.

Heber's Cuban Cafe: This place is in the same strip mall (Wekiva Riverwalk Plaza on 436) as Roc. It has a weird menu of Cuban dishes and pizza, pasta and breakfast that they say is Cuban style. I had a half Cuban sandwich for $3 (a 12 inch is only $5). It was fine. They pricing is cheap here and they do have a wide variety. I wouldn't make a special trip for them, but, if you live in the area you could do worse. The owner said he has been there four years.

Golden Wok Buffet: This place has always been at the boundary of how far I would explore in the area. It's at the western end of Apopka. I could swear it was called 369 or something similar the last time I went this far. However, they said they have been there for six years. Regardless, it stinks. I had the shrimp and broccoli lunch special for $5. It caused me anxiety. I thought for sure it would end in food poisoning. The shrimp were the mushiest possible. The rice might have been mushier. The sauce was tasteless. This may have been the worst Chinese food I have ever had. The buffet looked equally unappetizing. They had a sign that said "Voted Best in Apopka". I presume that means they are the only one in Apopka. Avoid.  

No comments: