Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Thai Thani, Lake Mary - Closed

*This was originally a review for Blue Elephant. There is now a sign that says they are partnering with Thai Thani (the name on the plate now). I am assuming that what I said for BE is about what can be said for TT. But, I don't care to verify it.

**7/30/13 - I wish I had listened to myself. I went back today for lunch before a movie. I had chicken with baby corn and mushrooms. About one hour into Wolverine the rumblings started. Barely made it home before my ass threw up. It was just the exclamation point for an atrocious meal. The Thai Thani folks have destoyed whatever good will the old place had. The chicken quality was like you get at a to go Chinese restaurant. The rice was thoroughly overcooked. Even the Coke tasted funny. Avoid. The ownership change has had a very negative impact.

I had lunch at this Thai restaurant in the strip mall across from the Westin last Wednesday. I had chicken in a lemongrass and pepper sauce for $9. There was a mistake in the menu regarding what vegetables are served with the dish, but, the flavor was good even if the vegetables (peppers) were not to my taste. The rice may have been a tad overcooked. The plating was nice. It came out fast. The menu has most of the things you have come to expect from a Thai restaurant ex patria. They sprinkle in some other Asian dishes. There is a lunch menu and a dinner menu. A fair representation of options. Most things hover around $10 and a few dishes grow to a max of $25. It is very reasonably priced. The thing that separates them from other Thai options is the ambiance. It's a huge space tastefully furnished. They have appropriate art, fountains, and a stonework bar. Some serious money was invested for your bemusement. Not that it may matter. Several high end endeavors have failed at this location. Some even appeared to be doing well. It sounded like the owner (from Tampa) is fairly new to this type of enterprise, so hopefully he will have the patience to see it through. It's a competitive marketplace and I saw a sign that promised a Grafitti Junction at the old Metro Burger location. The place seats 100+. I believe that there were around thirty people there for lunch. There is: a bar area, a dining area, a patio and a large party area. The dining area is where it always is and the layout is more like the high end Latin restaurant it was before the Carlos and Charlie's redesign. It means that they separate the room into length wise halves. Two rows of tables (some booths) facing each other per side and an unseparated area at the back wall. The large group area is to the right of the entrance (where the dance floor was at C&C). The bar is in the same place it has always been. The patio to the left of the entrance is the lone portion of available outside space to be made accessible. I really liked my lunch here. My waitress (3) was very polite and attentive. The manager was very engaged. I even was able to submit a coupon I found in a circular for a gift card in the amount of meal. I guess that ensures I will be back. I would have anyway. That just made me happier about it. I like everything about the place. The layout, the decor, the service, the food, the generosity and the attitude more than meet you half way. I'm not sure it's a destination restaurant in terms of experiencing something gastronomically idiosyncratic, but, it is if you are looking for a holistic dining experience. It's a great example of how you can still find a fine dining experience without feeling fleeced. I recommend that you put it in your rotation if you live anywhere near Lake Mary and seek it from farther away if a value proposition appeals to you more than a singular experience.

No comments: