Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dixie Crossroads, Titusville

I had lunch at this Seafood restaurant at Exit 220 last Friday. I was on my way to Miami (some great dishes at the Taste of Miami food court in Marlins Park) to see the final baseball stadium I hadn't been to. I had something called red shrimp (12 for $16). It seems they live amongst the other shrimp and are a little sweeter. It was hard to tell. The cook didn't know what to do with them. He even managed to over steam them. I think they steamed (more likely boiled) in some sort of salt bath. They were unforgivably salty and limp. I was glad I could try something new though. I did taste some residual sweetness underneath the brine. It came with a baked potato (fine). They also serve everyone corn fritters topped with powdered sugar. They were light and tasty and freshly made. They do get a little more heavy as they cool. I was also informed that they are 90 calories a piece. The waitress also let me sample some rock shrimp (2) on the house. I've seen them on menus (usually fried) but never in the shell. It's a hard shell (similar to a spiny lobster). They also comped me a dessert of my choice. I chose a Key Lime Pie made by a baker in town. It was excellent. I stopped here because I always see the sign when I am on I-95 and I never made it to the location on I-Drive when it was open. I'm glad I made the effort. You have already read how generous they can be and they have an interesting selection of seafood. It's on the right side of the street before you get to A1A. They have been in business for over thirty years. The prices are in line or lower than most seafood place's mark-ups (teens to twenties). Side note: I saw a special this summer that said lobstermen were getting $3 a pound from wholesalers this summer. Think of that the next time you have a $20+ lobster roll. The place looks like what chain seafood restaurants copy to seem authentic. It's mostly wood inside. It has four separate rooms. It must seat 150+. The room I was in was almost full. I would guess most of the diners were regulars (older). The place is run and supplied by family. One of the brood actually catches some of the shellfish for them and their seafood market. I suggest you try it if you are nearby or have to check out what red or rock shrimp are all about. If you live in North Orlando you can take 46 to the coast and be there in 45 minutes. Maybe you can take in an airboat ride or do some fishing while you are at it or hit up the Space Center.

No comments: