Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Breezeway, Sanford

I had lunch at this American restaurant on the main street. It is the latest in a series of efforts (lastly Two Blonds and a Shrimp). I had come to the area in hopes of finding a food truck event, but, I searched far and wide and never found it. It is home to one of the lamest farmer's market in the country (10 stalls? - most not selling food). So it has that going for it. I really wasn't expecting much from the place. The menu seemed unoriginal and overpriced. I was originally going to cut my loses and just order a salad, but, I overheard the owner telling another table about how meticulously he prepares his specialty pork sandwich. It sounded interesting and since it came with a salad for $9, I bit. Fortunate for me. It was a huge, pounded (cubed twice), cutlet (I forget which part) covered with panko and expertly fried. It was light. Good thing because it was massive (six times the size of the roll). It came on a roll that was a step above the usual hamburger roll. It was a little stale though. The lettuce, tomato and onion were superfluous and were of medium quality and freshness. The sauce (mayo, sour cream, hot sauce and horseradish) was excellent and necessary to counteract the dryness of the cutlet. I suggest that they challenge Hollerbach's to a Schnitzel-off. I chose a Caesar salad as an accompaniment. It was properly made. The place looks like it always did. It has that bar to the left and some tables (5 or 6) on the right. It is a narrow, rectangular shape. Most seats are outside (60). There are TV's both inside and out. The crowd is disparate. It seemed like most people were just passersby who said "how bad can it be?". I do think it's odd that they choose a sport fish as a mascot. The menu had more turf than surf. I think they are just trying to evoke some "fun in the sun" sensibility because we are in Florida. Maybe they are trying to differentiate themselves. The service (3) was ok. My waitress seemed the least engaged. It wasn't as if there was a lunch rush going on. All in all, it's a slightly overpriced, me too American version of pub with a really good fried pork sandwich. I'm not sure that's enough for me to tell you to waste the gas getting here. However, if you are in Sanford and don't want to be a cliche (by going to Hollerbach's) you have another option. Although, to be honest, I would go to the aforementioned's market before doing that. Marco Dino's or Cafe Rouge may also be potentially more gratifying, but, they are inconsistent.

No comments: