Monday, January 9, 2017

Earl's Kitchen + Bar, Mall at Millenia

I ate lunch here on Sunday. I had intended on favoring an undeserving tapas place around Sand Lake (only because I won't trust them to enough to waste a dinner on them), but, they think they have a buffet that merits $40. I would already have to be drunk on mimosas made with five dollar a bottle sparkling wine to believe that. Like the two customers in the place who obviously disagreed with me. This place is a chain from Canada. I think I may have liked it better had I not been informed of that before I went. Aside from the boring name (not associated with Robert Earl of Planet Hollywood as far as I can tell) and 50% too greedy menu pricing, I kind of liked it. I especially liked the attractive waitresses (many who moved here from Canada) and the interior design. The space is expansive. The front of house is a bar area with mass transit like wood benches and other regular high top tables. The ceiling rises two floors. The outside wall is all glass. There are different columns/support structures exposed in that area. The rear area is the more "formal" area. It starts with a barrier of booths and ends with another bar, The open kitchen is on the right that is separated from the room by a half wall with a row of connected seating on the "wall" side. Regular tables form the rest of room. The color scheme is mostly white, black assorted Autumnal colors and wood and granite. They have interesting lighting fixtures in the air and art and murals on the walls. The rear room alone must seat 100. Half that up front. There is also an outside patio up front. It was pretty crowded with an attractive/well dressed clientele. I would wager that a fair number were from Toronto and Montreal. I guess it is smart to open a Canadian chain where half the country vacations. You don't even really need the locals to buy in. I found the menu a little boring. Not much for the twelve bodies I counted on the line to do. They have four stabs at "ethnic" dishes like curry (or all of two sushi rolls), but, it's mainly sandwiches, burgers and steaks. All but three of the starters are really mains. In concept and price. They had a brunch menu on Sunday, so, I thought I'd be the least bored or fleeced in this area (should they suck). I had the steak and eggs so I could sort of sample the quality of steak (for you people) since it is a highlight. The dish was set on a slice of sour dough toast covered with bacon jam, avocado, steak and fried eggs. The eggs were overdone. My waitress noticed it right away and offered to have it sent back. Since I was mostly interested in acquiring intel on the steak, I asked her to let it slide. The meal was good. The steak was good. Medium rare. It also came with some nicely executed fried potatoes. It cost $14. Of course they hose you on soda. Nearly $4 for one skinny, ice filled glass full. If they could be as creative with the menu as they are with interior design then I could really recommend them. Chain status not withstanding. That or drop the prices to reflect the tedium. As it is, I would only come back to people watch and star gaze at the interior design. Most of CF should love it though. It's very Canadian in the sense that they play it safe. I think they have only been open for a month or so. It is in the old Blue martini space in the front right side of the mall. Anyone else noticing that "&" is no longer cool? It's now "+". Service was polite and professional. They are all dressed in black.

No comments: