Sunday, January 8, 2017

Pizza Bruno, Curry Ford Rd

I finally tried this gourmet pizza place last night after four tries when they weren't open for varying reasons. I had an order of meatballs (3) for $12 and a regular pizza for $10. The way they do pizza is not my preferred way. They use the right ingredients and probably meet the standards set by Italian law, but, it's just to crusty and the cheese was tasteless. Imagine a fort surrounded by wide ramparts. That is what the pizza looks like. It's almost half crust. And while it is soft and fluffy because it just popped out of the brick oven, I don't want breadsticks and pizza. I want pizza. Hopefully, they aren't doing this because they are too lazy to spread out the dough or they are trying to minimize topping costs. If either of those is the reason then there is a problem. The cheese was glossy. It looked like the top of a lasagna.  It wasn't deposited evenly. The sauce was just a plain tomato sauce. It was heavy in spots and light in others. The dough was slightly underdone in the crust. The meatballs were better. They were light. They came in a tomato sauce with golden raisins, a shmear of lemon ricotta and a toasted slice of bread. It is really a meal in itself. The menu is small. Aside from the various pizza combinations, they only offer two salads, garlic knots, a caprese, an antipasto plate, and a cauliflower app. It seats about thirty (including the bar). There was a thirty minute wait for a table. They do get the food out fast though. My waiter/barman was very attentive. The decor is minimal. Oldish building. I felt a bit cheated because I believe my neighbors at the bar received free meatballs and I paid full freight. I guess I should be happy for them. A tiny bottle of soda was $3. You know how I love that. They say the pizza is styled on the pizzas of Naples. Alot of Americans say this. But, isn't that pizza oval? I like that they are committed to quality. I just wish I liked breadstick pizza so I could really give it a good rating. Alas, it will rank a little lower because of that. That and the fact that the location is so equally removed from most of our neighborhoods and there are alot of gourmet pizza choices out there. Almost as many as pregnant local newswomen. They are only open for lunch on Sa and Sn and they are closed on Tuesday.

No comments: