Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Urban Brick, Deland

I grabbed a pizzetta to go at this fairly new (six months) Italian place of N Woodland Blvd in the center of the old town. I had the daily special. It was called Blueberry Pie. It cost $16. I mainly tried it because it came with guanciale (pork cheek). It also was so bizarre. They put blueberries, maple syrup and pistachios on it. It was ok. They made the same mistake of "over crusting" it that they did at Pizza Bruno. They promised to "stretch" the dough more. If they did, then I can't imagine how wide the normal crust is. In addition, I could not see or taste whatever cheese was on it. Garlic also overpowered the other ingredients. They were frugal with the very salty guanciale. Less so with the pistachios. It was about twelve inches wide. I applaud the imagination of the cook. The menu (mostly pizzas starting at $9) is also on the inventive side. They have a "slice" of pizza (with soda at lunch at $6) that is round. It's a cute little flippy flyer. They also do sandwiches (3), wings, pasta (2), and salads. It looks brand new because it is, It seats about thirty in a rectangular space. The have a mural of Broadway on the wall separating the kitchen and the rear seats. The people I interacted with were friendly. I chose this place because the places around it (that I hadn't tried) seemed more suited for a sit in meal and I just wanted to get home with a dinner at that point in the day. I'm glad I found this spot. It fit the bill. I want to try a more traditional pizza and maybe the "slice" in the future. I may always dislike the crust situation, but, I like the mentality of the place in the aggregate. If I lived nearby, I would give their whole menu a once over.

No comments: