Thursday, October 26, 2017

AJ's Press, Longwood - Closed

I was originally in this area yesterday for this newcomer. It is the brother location of a one off Tampa based sandwich shop that somehow is/was the number 4 "top 100 places to eat" nationally in 2017. Now the sandwich I had was good, but, I'm not even sure they are the fourth best sandwich shop in Orlando. I had AJ's Cuban because it seemed like one of the more complex sandwiches (another reason why the ranking is questionable and hopefully not purchased). It cost $9.49 (for the larger one) and consists of two slices of pit style ham, four slices of Cantimpalo chorizo, slow roasted pork, jack cheese, pickles, mustard and mayo. It comes on a pressed 'locally baked" Telera roll (smaller size comes on a Bolillo roll at $7.49). It was good. I liked that the chorizo wasn't thickly sliced or worse - loose. The ham was good. The pork can be described as Carolina style (vinegar). I'm not sure if they roast it with vinegar or add that later to moisten it. The serving size could have been more generous. Maybe a hardball's worth. It comes with good home fried "lattice" potato chips. Think waffle cut fries. The other sandwiches that are a bit interesting (I'm reaching) are a brisket at $11 and a crunchy chicken at $9.49 (for the larges). The Grilled Chicken BLT, Chipotle Grilled Chicken, Sonora Bacon Dog, Roasted Mushroom, Burger, Mojo Pork, BLT, Grilled Cheese, Ham and Cheddar and Fish sandwiches didn't really wow me. And that is the main issue I have with the place. It's pretty vanilla. They could use a bit more funk. They also serve all these items (and breakfast sandwiches) as bowls. The breakfast items come on potatoes. The lunch items on black beans. They have a few sides, soups and desserts. It's on 434 near the RR tracks (near Ronald Reagan Blvd). It took over the spot that was Zorba's and some other spot most recently. They give you a very good jalapeno hush puppy while you wait. They are amiable. I didn't have to wait long. A family run business. I'd go back alot if it wasn't in such a traffic nightmare. They are closed on Sunday (the one light traffic day) and 8-4pm on M-F and 9-3pm on Sa.

No comments: