Thursday, October 26, 2017

Jon Jovonni's Pollo A La Brasa, Longwood - Closed

I had lunch at this new (13 weeks) Peruvian restaurant on Ronald Reagan Blvd (near the light rail station on the north side) yesterday. I had the fish (corvino) ceviche for $14 and the 1/4 chicken lunch special for $7. The ceviche was ok. They said they add the lime juice as ordered, but, it seemed a little "cooked" for that. Who knows? Maybe the fish is a fast cook. The portion was large. It was topped with thinly sliced red onion. I usually don't order this dish because in addition to it rarely being prepared properly, the portion size is usually an appetizer's worth at an entree price. This was enough for a meal. They also tossed in some corn nuts, some big, boiled hominy and a half of a sweet potato. I was getting bored with the ceviche, so, I started mixing it with the potato and the hominy and it made the fish a little more interesting. I'm not sure if that is how it is supposed to be consumed. It's not intuitive. The hispanic cultures often just throw stuff on a plate that doesn't seem to be complementary but is maybe all that they have in the larder. They serve two other types of ceviche. The chicken is cooked "a la brasa" and was moist with crisp skin. It was very good. They may have used a jerk rub. The bird was smallish, so, I expect it wasn't "roided" up. Maybe even free range. Normal size. You can get white or dark meat pieces. It came with crisp fries, a can of soda and an acceptable, basic salad of lettuce and tomatoes. You can get it with rice and beans and without a soda ($5). The rest of menu is representative. Beef, chicken, pork, seafood. Around a three page menu. The place seats around forty. The color scheme was black and red. They have no decoration. They seem to be leaving the wall space clear for people to write on. You order at the counter and it is delivered. The co-owner is a ball of energy. They are open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. Til 9 on Sn-Th and til 10 F and Sa. The last Peruvian place I believe I wrote about was Gaviota. They would probably consider themselves higher end than this. I would say that there isn't much difference. Especially for the 50 location. They seem to be trying and those lunch specials (the have others) are great. I just spent $7 for disappointing Chinese take out this afternoon. I'd go back.

No comments: