Friday, January 5, 2018

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: P is for Pie (Closed), Soho Juice Co. and Kava Cove Lounge

The first spot is more accurately in Audubon Park. The second is on S.Orlando near Fairbanks. The third is on Fairbanks near Hunger Street Tacos. I tried them yesterday.

P is for Pie - P is for pathetic in that I'm pathetic for having missed out on them for the four years they have been in business. They sell pies and other goodies. I bought a Turducken savory hand pie for $7 and an Apple hand pie for $4.50. Both were great. Croissant like (a little harder) crust. Fresh filling. Well made. The Turducken had nice chunks of turkey and shredded chicken (not weeks old like New City Cafe) and possibly duck (it was hard to spot at the rate I was devouring it). There were also a few peas and a side of gravy. Mostly meat though. The apple pie had sugar melted into the crust. Very tasty. Smaller than the meat pie. They both even survived the ride home, a stint in the refrigerator and the microwave. Probably alot better fresh out of the oven. Any place that lets me celebrate the legacy of John Madden (feeds my soul) and feeds my hierarchy of needs is good by me. Even the to go boxed were quality. The place looks cute. It's near Sushi Lola and Redlight Redlight on Corrine. They had breakfast pies too.

Soho Juice Co. - Not Company. Co.! They started in Tampa. This is their only CF store. They opened in September. They sell overpriced juice (already packaged) and acai bowls. I didn't catch the price of the bowls, but, the beet juice was $10! Do I have to tell you what I think about that? The place looks like a White Castle. I was the only customer. Employee wasn't even at the counter, so, maybe I was the first for o while. The juice is in a big glass refrigerator section. There was one of those rental locks on the door. Maybe they're already going under?

Kava Cove Lounge - Another pointless psuedo-medicine (high) purveyor. I grabbed a small kombucha (citrus and ginger) to go for $5. It tasted like Fresca. The place is a stoner (or whatever they call kava and kombucha addicts) "bar". It has a pool table and and a bar top. Even a tap. The kombucha kept me up for most of the night. I'll stick with bars that serve fire water. They opened in April. It's in between a cake store and a massage parlor. Before 4 Rivers from I-4.

No comments: