Sunday, January 14, 2018

Lemon Shark Poke, Dr Phillips Area - Closed

While down around Universal last Saturday, I was going to try and get dinner to go at a place called Boca Grill (or something). It looked like I should do it justice with a proper sit down experience, so, I switched gears and grabbed a snack at this place in the same marketplace. It is in that area at Sand Lake and Dr Phillips that has WOB and Morton's steakhouse. It (same owners) replaces a Mexican place that I reviewed a year ago. It is another passenger on the poke bandwagon. It seemed a little fresher than the one I reviewed near Red Bug Lake. They have eleven choices (ahi, spicy tuna, salmon, spicy salmon, miso glazed salmon, squid, tofu, shrimp, albacore, octopus, scallop). You then add some toppings and a sauce. $9 to $14. I only had a Spam Musubi ($3.55) because whatever I tried was going to have to wait until lunch the next day and I figured this was cheap and would hold up the best. I did try it the next day on my way to The Keys and it was good. The rice was dry (I tried some the day of and it was dry then too), but, it was easy to handle while driving. For those who don't know, a Musubi is like a big piece of sushi. Hawaiian places (even McDonald's) usually serve them. Spam isn't that terrible and a kick to order. They also made it fresh to order. The place also serves katsu. I just learned that katsu should be fried twice. Once at a high heat (to lock in or out whatever needs to be) and then longer at a lower heat. I doubt a place like this (or any place in town) does that. But, start annoying all katsu serving places with this bit of knowledge. For me? I have little else. They also have a few apps. and they have an ok craft beer selection and wine and sake. It's probably superior that that other one (Da Kine?). The place looks clean and modern and uncluttered. It is fast casual. I don't think it is a chain. They opened five months ago.

No comments: