Friday, August 9, 2019

Baan Chan, UCF Area

I tried this Thai place on 50 near 419 on Wednesday for dinner. It's in a decrepit strop mall near Gyroville (recently reviewed) They have been open for a few months. I had two apps and a soup. Thai Heaven Beef for $4.50. Soft Shell Crab for $$6.50. Tom Zab Pork Soup for $4. The beef was ok/ A little more thick and fried than I recall Thai Beef being. Jerky like. The crab was misrepresented as a serving of 2. Since when is one thing cut in two equal to two? The crab also didn't taste very fresh. I blame the 3D episode I just watched (a spot in Cape something - I'm still brain dead from my last trip - near Kitty Hawk NC) for making me hunger for soft shell crab. The soup was ok. The pork (rib meat) was tender. You had to spit out bones, etc or swallow them though. I'm a spitter. The broth was a little bland. It contains garlic, galangala (I just learned this is weaker tasting but similar to ginger), kaffir lime leaves, coriander, lemon grass, tamarind and rice powder. I ordered this because I just saw a show on Cambodian cooking and these ingredients were basically in all dishes (in Thailand too) and I wanted a reason to talk about them. I also learned that fish sauce is often the only protein they get. Shrimp paste is similarly necessary. I also learned that they use turmeric and it is an orange root similar to ginger. We just see the powder. The rest of the menu consists of five more soups, nine more apps and ten mains. The place looks old. Like they did zero with what they inherited. It seats about forty. They said that Bann Chan in Thai means "little house" or something like that. Weird that Korean and Thai have the same word with totally different meanings. It's ok, but, I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Closed on Monday.

*In the next post I will recant all the oddities I experienced in Europe over the last three weeks. I'm too pressed to do it now..

No comments: