Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Le House, Downtown

I was reticent to post the last two reviews because my European discoveries in the post before them would be pushed below these reviews and be ignored. So read them.

I tried this Vietnamese restaurant on Church St (in between the Amway and the soccer stadium) today. I popped in at lunch time and grabbed a few apps to go for dinner. I always figured there would be no chance at finding a parking spot during the day, but, there were a few (and unmetered) and they said a lot on the opposite corner is always open. I had tried to come here on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. It was closed. I thought there was some emergency or something, but, they said they aren't open on Saturday. No business 'business". I selected three apps because one can only have so much pho or rice dishes. I like to try and expand my vocabulary, but, it hard to find a Vietnamese place that plays more than the greatest hits. I had spring roll (2) in case I hated the two "experiments". It cost $3 and was poor. A bit over fried and the contents didn't have much taste. It was like it was filled with vermicelli rice noodles. I also had Nem Chua. That was three fermented pork paste flat patties steamed in banana leaves. They were sooo hot. Like ghost chili hot. And they paired them with a hot sauce or a vinegar sauce. They jam a big hunk of raw garlic in it too and give you more raw garlic hunks on the side. Odd. I almost tossed them out. They cost $5. I tried another pork app and it was better. It was like a summer roll (2). A strip of sweet salty sausage with "banh mi toppings" inside rice paper. And a fried cracker crisp. It came with a goopy orange sauce that was very salty and another cup of the hot sauce. It was cold when I took it out of the container and I didn't see if it was warm to begin with. Therefore I didn't know how it should be served. I split the difference and warmed it in the nuker for 15 seconds. That didn't kill the veggies. It was ok. I thought the vinegar sauce was better here. I also popped in the remaining spicy patties and they worked better here. It's like the two pork items should be switched. The veggies tempered the heat. It was called Nem Nurong Cuon. It also cost $5. The place looks new and clean and cute. Some might consider it hip. They opened in November. The name is from their last name. The "Le" is pronounced "lay" and it's their "house". I suspect that the rest of the menu is treated with care. I saw a to go vegetarian chicken dish being inspected by the purchaser and it looked finely prepared.

No comments: