Monday, August 12, 2019

Grub Crawl - Maitland: Houndstooth Kitchen & Eatery and 407 Gelato (Closed) *England/France/SpainTravel Notes

I tried this Kitchen & Eatery and this Gelato spot in the back of the newish apartments (not  the ones adjacent to the Publix) on 17-92 at lunch on Thursday.

Houndstooth - They used to have a sauce outlet in the East End Market. I had a roast beef and cheddar melt for $10 (all sandwiches cost this much) and a bbq brisket taco for $3.50. They "house roast" their beef. It was ok. A little gray and not too much flavor. They add a dijonaise (their wording) dressing and serve it on sourdough. They give you an unnecessary additional cup of the dressing. If you add a side the cost of the meal now climbs to $13. Two sides and it is $14. They have 10 sandwiches and six sides. Rueben, Cuban, Turkey, etc. A pimento is as crazy as it gets. Sides are slaw, potato salad, orzo, chips, pickle and quinoa. The taco was the better value. A big helping of brisket. Served on a metal "accordion". Pretty good. Heavily sauced. Flour tortilla. I just saw an episode of that Pati lady who looks like a parrot and she said that no real Mexican would use a flour tortilla for a taco. I think they might if they thought up this combination. They also offer a sloppy mo and mojo pork. They have three soups. $6 a bowl. 4 salads and 3 "lettuce boats". 3 kid-centric sandwiches (ie fluffernutter). They also make food for dogs. It's a small place. It seats six or eight inside and the same on the patio. It has been open for two months. Just below "put in the effort to try it" status. Good if you live close by though.

407 Gelato - They opened a few months ago and I swear I've been to one of their locations (past or present). They have one in Oviedo and one elsewhere. This one is solely for gelato. I had a piccolo chocolate for $5. It was ok. They have around fourteen flavors. It's a white walled ice cream shop. Nothing to write home about.

*Travel Notes - England/France/Spain: And now to strange things I came across in England, France and Spain.

Chocolate DIPPED croissants (the whole thing). I think this was done in Spain.
Fried lasagna (London)
Fried egg flavored potato chips (this was made by Vincent Vidal Co in Navarra and someone should import it. It tasted exactly like what it is trying to taste like and it wasn't disgusting. Plus chips is Spain are just fried better. Actually in each of those countries. They must use some unhealthy oil.
Blackberry juice. They offered up a lot of fruit flavors in the Bocqueria in Barcelona. This one stood out.
Taquitos of Jamon de Cebo - In Barcelona they give you a paper cone and fill it with bits of Iberico pork for 5E. I think it's the leftovers, but, it's a good, cheap way to get your ham on.
Pas de Pessic Coco - a Spanish chocolate pastry
Flautas - In Spain, this is what they called sandwiches on thin baguettes. Same in France. Except it was in French. I just saw bread called this in France. No sandwiches.
Bottled Asparagus - France. And disgusting and mushy. They also canned cassoulet and foies and other terrines and things. Cheap.
Bonne Maman Tartlettes - That French company that makes jam makes tartes with the jam and sells them nine in box. I had lemon and strawberry. Lemon was better. These need to be imported if they aren't already.
Very Pamp Rose - I think I'm late to the game on this one, but, rose mixed with fruit juice (in this case grapefruit) is all the rage in France.
Ciambotta - A hollowed out bun filled with stuff (ie meat ragu). I had this at a stall in Camden Market in London. They said it is a thing in Puglia. A great concept for a franchise. At least it is different. I also ate a cereal place there. Cereal Killers. And though that is being done in the US, they had a few options I haven't seen used often. They did a fried chicken with frosted flakes. I had a Lucky Charms ice cream/milk. They didn't do cereal flavored milk though.
Duck Banh Mi - Paris.
Battenberg Cake - Canterbury
Cheese -Brie de Meaux, Saint Marcelin, Saint Nectair. They are all French. The last was the best. Similar to a cheese I had as a kid and could never find again. Some cheese guy brought it in to our French class in middle school. He called it Salzburg. I have never been able to track it down.

I also ate a place (Monsoon) on Brick Lane in London (Indian food). It turned out to be Bandgladeshi. D'oh. However, that explained some of the peculiarities on the menu. Like: Chot poti, kebab roll, tikka in a skillet, balti, and the following curries - bhuna, patha, dupiyaza, saag, Ceylon, dansak. There were a lot more, but that is what I can remember. I had the first three. The chot poti was just tamarind stewed chick peas with boiled egg slices. I thought the egg was going to be more scrambled like. The kebab roll was ground meat in naan. I've never seen a kebab like item in an Indian place. Probably because it wasn't Indian. I'd like to see more naan sandwiches. The tikka was like a fajita plate. I really liked this presentation. I had it with lamb and chicken. Really expressed the lamb well. The balti (many types) was some type of sourish "national" dish. It sounded interesting, but, not enough to win out.

That's what I can recall. If I remember anything else I will put it in a future post. They had a very large vending machine in Barcelona called Yoo Shop. Like a school bus. I also found Belon oysters in a market in Lorient, but, the guy couldn't open them for me. Crepes and waffles are big in Brittany.

No comments: