Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Dali's, Sanford *WI/OH/IN/MN Travel Notes

I tried this Laotian/Thai "café" on Rinehart Rd (in the former Chinese takeout spot in the strip mall with 5th Element and across from the Mercedes dealership) over two weeks ago at dinner. I had a pork stew special (that I have in my notes as Kam Loh or Leh, but, I remember that I was unsure when I wrote that down). Anyway, it cost $14. It was a little pricey for a similar Filipino stew I've had for $9 with sides. This one had five or six chunks of tender pork (probably shoulder) and three hard boiled eggs. The sauce is brown. Soy-centric. I don't think it came with anything. Maybe rice. The place looks like they just opened, but, they claim they have been open for 5 months and that many bloggers and the Orlando Sentinel reviewed them already. The menu seemed more tilted to Thai. My dish was Lao. Or so they told me. They have a medium sized menu. The lunch specials seemed to be around $10. The décor is even more minimalistic than it was before. If that is possible. They add a credit card fee. I'll probably try some other dishes in the future.

*Travel Notes - Wisconsin/Ohio/Indiana/Minnesota: Brat Coins (fried slices of brat) at Great Lakes Distillery in Milwaukee. Kassler Rippchen at Mader's in Milwaukee, Nopales (fried cinnamon dough in cactus shape) and Budin (dense bread pudding) at Mama Ines in Lafayette. Cheeseburger with tartar sauce and bbq sauce at Swensons in Akron. Pig tails, pig ears, pork skins with onion dip and smoked wings at Michael Symon's Mabel's BBQ in Cleveland. I also saw a milk shake machine in a gas station in Kenosha. You take a shake in a cup and put it under an automated mixing device and then you have a shake. I forget the name of the company that provided it. I have had other local specialties (ie beef on weck in Buffalo) and went to other places that have been on tv, but, these are the things that were new to me.

No comments: