Monday, October 28, 2019

Grub Crawl - Downtown: Kaizen, Jam-Eng, Loading Zone and Olives

I tried these places downtown today at lunch time. I've been waiting for the wather to improve and to save enough change for the meter.

Kaizen - I tried this izakaya that replaced (but I think is still associated with) Amura on Church St at the parking lot exit near the tracks at lunch. It is basically Amura with some trendy non-Japanese apps. I had the gyoza for $6 and the lunch sushi assortment for $12. The "new" items were mostly ho-hum and overpriced. I decided to cut my loses. The gyoza seemed to be the ones you can be pre-made at an Asian supermarket. Nothing like Tori Tori's. They actually are doing what this place proposes to do. I ordered these with the intent of comparing them with Tori Tori. The sushi was Amura-like. The rice wasn't properly crafted (sticky and mealy). The fish was ok. They served a sea bream called madai (possibly on the menu as nadai) and what they said was in the yellowtail family and called sumaji. It wasn't listed on the menu, so, I duckduckgo-ed it (because google shadow bans this site and spies on you) and couldn't find a result based on my pigeon English spelling of the fish. I did see that Florida State is considering it for a basketball scholarship however. The dish was a piece of the two discussed fish plus a salmon and a yellowtail and a tuna. The yt and tuna were actually very fresh. As were the first two. The California roll was supermarket bland. Like I said, the menu is now "expanded" to have Korean (why not call it Japanese?) Fried Chicken, an elote corn rip off, pork bao, fried rice an some other" traditional" Japanese izakaya fare. They have a 11 or 12 piece sushi offering at $35. Just go for the $60 sham (or the +$150) like they do at Kabooki at Turkey Lake or Kadence if you are going to try at "up scale" it. They also do ramen, katsu, donburi, teriyaki and some other traditional hot dishes. Some are on the lunch menu. At $12+ for a meal. I'm not sure if they redid the interior. It has been a while since I have been there. If they did, they should be embarrassed. It's dark, dingy and uninspired. Abused. There are wires protruding from the wall. A computer terminal looked like a baby was allowed to suck on the screen. And I saw that from across the room. No natural light. Little artificial light. The floors are tacky (not in a lack of sophistication kind of way but in a sticky and coated kind of way). Service was a bit out of sync. Up your ass when you wanted time and nowhere to be found when you wanted to be. No soda refill. So $3 for a half a glass of ice and four fingers of sugar water. I felt it was going to be ham fisted attempt at being au courant and it was.

Jam-Eng - Here is another place I haven't really been excited to try. I just did because I had to do as much as possible to justify a trip downtown. It's a six month old Jamaican and English mash up on the corner of Orange and Washington (I think). Diagonal from Elixir in an old bar spot. The front is take out. The interior is sit down. They have the usually Jamaican stuff (jerks, patties, ackee, etc) and some English stuff like Ploughman's sandwich and  maybe Shepard's Pie. The wife is British. I went with a jerk chicken sandwich for $8. It was pieces of drumstick on a sweet roll with lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, French dressing and a bit of hot sauce. It was remedial. Tough chicken with icky bits still attached. Bland veg. Needless to say, I haven't been impressed by Caribbean fare - ever. At best some meats can be interestingly spiced. But something else usually ruins the experience. Or maybe it's because I forgo the "doochee" before I eat (or ever)? That is a what I think it is, right? They sell some packaged goods that looked interesting (ie Soursop beverage or Kipling's pastries). Mostly a pass though.

Loading Zone Philly Steaks - They replaced Beth's Burger Bar a few weeks ago. It's around the corner from Jam-Eng if you forgot. Cheese steaks and cold sandwiches. I did a regular whiz at $7. It was more of a "cheap-steak". Not much beef. Onion. Whiz. Way too much whiz. Geni's near Lyman high school is better. They are open until 2am. I can't recall how Beth's was set up. The brick walls seemed familiar.

Olives - They are a Greek/Med place below the movie theater. Open for three months. I was intrigued by a baklava cheese cake for $5 passing by. They were out. Took a $3 baklava to go so I could write about them. I will go back in a few months to try a gyro or bowl. The baklava was stale. Stale walnuts. Probably not made in house.

*I saw that a Thai place replaced Artisan's Table (that moved to Church St) on Pine. Name of Muy Thai. A new market is opening near Morgan and Morgan. The California burrito place near Kaizen has failed and is being replaced by Cucina. There is an infamous bar in Palm Beach named that. Some very unscrupulous people have been known to take their shirts off there. It was once Au Bar and was where that Kennedy cousin and Uncle Ted were before the cousin allegedly raped that girl in the Ninties. I wonder if they have started a chain of fast casual places. It had West Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens outposts listed below it. The real place is also pretty good Italian restaurant. I wonder if it will be that kind of food. I'll venture down again once all these delights are open If I have enough change. Those meters must really piss off the homeless. I guess the city leaders that installed them (the meters not the homeless) hate the unfortunate.

**I was perusing the Orlando Weekly (two editions actually) while I was at Kaizen. The first was a typically mendacious (this time politically charged) bleat by the Arab guy. How the place he ate at's owner supported Trump and how he overcame the (his own) bigotry (err I mean oppression/shame) and ate there anyway yet still wants protection from any intolerant liberal backlash/criticism so he has to give us his excuse. Stand by your convictions or take the heat for abandoning them. Are we really making food a political issue now, man? Isn't baseball a bridge too far? The second review (actually the issue from the week before) was a very funny take on a vegetarian place. I was like - wow this guy is finally getting it. Nope. It was another reviewer. A female girl. Kudos to you whomever you are. I vote for more of you. I hope you are one of six followers.

No comments: