Thursday, November 14, 2019

Nic & Luc Scratch Kitchen, Longwood

I tried this brunchy type place in a perpetually under tenanted strip mall near the intersection of 17-92 and 434 (across from an Indian Spice store) yesterday at breakfast. I'm on European time. I had a mushroom and provolone omelet for $9. It came with two strips of sourdough, a portion of their home made jam and a teeny salad/ It was fine. They used two colors of carrot in the salad. The jam was good. The omelet wasn't life changing. I had higher hopes. It didn't help that I entered in on a conversation about cooking at the James Beard house. I was expecting magic.

They had a limited breakfast selection. Maybe ten things. Nothing out of the ordinary. some egg combos and toasts for example. I was more interested in the lunch menu (shrimp or chicken salad), but, they won't serve that before 11am. That lunch menu is also limited to around ten things. There was nothing wrong with the experience and the owner was seemed to have high end experience, but. I'm not sure how or why it rated one of the review slots for the Orlando Weekly. They did, however, pop in and give it a thumbs up a few months ago. The place opened in August.

The owner was at the register. One cook. No wait staff. They close at 2pm. I think the Weekly article said they were closed on the weekends. The owner spoke as if that is not the case now or never was. The place has around seven tables of four. Modern. White and light blue color scheme. Open kitchen. Big window in front. Lots of light. Lots of elbow room. You order at the counter. I was the only customer. The owner is from New Orleans via Miami. He seemed to be a vet as I mentioned. Luc and Nic are his kids. They just moved here. Parking is no problem. Give it a shot. You won't have to wait in line. I'll go back soon and try the lunch menu. And their jars of jam are a unique feature.

No comments: