Sunday, November 17, 2019

Grub Crawl - International Drive: Garden Bistro and Sodie Doces

I tried these places Wednesday at lunch. If we break down I Drive into thirds with the middle being between Universal Blvd and Sand Lake Blvd, the first place is on South I Drive after the Ferris wheel near Mia's and the second is in the strip mall at North I Drive on Universal.

Garden Bistro at Castle Hotel - This was to be a review of their Antler Lodge. It isn't open at lunch. They said the menu is the same as the Bistro's. Plus it was just a tiny, unimpressive bar/lounge area anyway. So, I ate here. The bistro was by the pool. It was a hotel restaurant. Pricy and boring. I had a bacon cheese burger because I was told (on my way in) it had won awards and nothing else beckoned me. It was actually pretty good. One point of confusion was the cheddar cheese. The just laid a slice of it (raw) over the bacon. I'm not sure if that was their intent or a miscue. The burger was pretty large and cooked to my absent minded request of medium. The bacon was thick, but, seemed kind of chewy. Like it had been laying around. The lettuce and tomato were fairly fresh. The Russian dressing was ok. The bun was large. Brioche. I didn't love the butter/grease treatment they gave it. A bit rancid tasting. It came on a bread board. With a basket of fries. They were plentiful and fried well. Warm too. They also served the burger with tiny bottles of ketchup, mayo and mustard. It almost justified the $17 price tag. The waiter was also a maniac on the refills. So, that evened out the value proposition ($3 soda). The rest of the menu was close to $30 for things like pasta or $9 minestrone. I saw both and was not impressed. I believe this ownership (Marriott) of the hotel began three years ago. I can't tell you to seek this out, but, if you are staying here then this is an option. They do their breakfast service here too. Unclear if it is open for dinner.

Sodie Doces - Not sure what it means, but, they have 300 cake shop locations (largest) in Brazil. This one just opened a month ago. It's in the rear corner of that strip mall. Next to where that nightclub was. Kind of hidden. It has a clean look. The cake cases greet you as you enter. Two dozen chocolate varieties and sixteen or so vanilla and seven sugar free and four "homemade" and four "American favorites". Plus a host of little pastries. You buy the cakes whole or by the gram. I had two milk chocolate  walnut bom boms at $3 a piece. They were terrific. Like walnut marzipan. I thought it would be éclair like. This was way better.

And that is all I have to say about that because only four of you read the last post. And you will have to wait to read about all the strange things I tried on my latest trip for the same reason. And I saw semi-truck (Nascar like) racing. Wild.

No comments: